Where Can I Find Finnish Media?

I have been learning Japanese and Anime and video games have really helped me understand the Japanese culture. I want to learn Finnish in the future, but I'm not sure where I could find exposure to the media. The media of a language really helps in the learning process. I'm looking for things like TV, music, movies, books, etc. I live in America so if I were to pay for anything it would be shipped to the US and I would be using US money. Any suggestions?

Favorite Answer

For a Finnish learner I would definitely recommend http://yle.fi/uutiset/selkouutiset/

It's specially targeted to audiences of limited vocabulary (much like wikipedia "simple english" articles). The site has both written news articles and slowly spoken videos. Some words are highlighted to give you more information on the meaning.The articles also have an "answer questions" option, to help you test if you understood the article. Everything is in FInnish, so you would need to know at least a bit of the language to get the full use of it.

For regular news, try

www.hs.fi

www.yle.fi/uutiset

www.iltalehti.fi

You can find a lot of stuff on youtube or on YLE website. Depends on what you're into, really. A very funny show is Pasila, maybe you can find that with English subtitles. Finnish music is also very popular, if you like pop music or metal music or whatever genre, try to find Finnish artists from that genre using Wikipedia and then Spotify/youtube.

The Finnish broadcasting service, YLE, streams a lot of stuff over the internet. Go to their website at yle.fi.

Also I'm sure there are Finnish newspapers you could read on the internet. Just find out the names of a couple of Finnish newspapers and search for them.

• Jeku

You can find free Finnish ebooks on Gutenberg.org