David
David asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 4 years ago

What to you think some folks mean by "happy writing"?

Sometimes a Books & Authors question gets concluded with a cheerful "happy writing!". I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not always happy when I'm writing. I usually feel more relief like I'm taking a long drink of water after a long hot run.

Is it just me and does everyone else feel happy while writing?

Favorite Answer

Whenever someone says "happy writing" I imagine that their writing sessions usually go something like this:

They're sitting in a meadow abundant in flowers and little buzzy bees. The ideas will be carried on the wind, and the birds will sing soothing tunes. A babbling brook behind will supply the writing with an endless supply of fresh water, and the story will flow from their pen to their silk-woven paper.

In my world:

I sit in a dark room, rocking backwards and forwards jibbering to myself. I occasionally come out of my stupor to jot a word down, but then my head hurts to I have to jibber some more.

I assume their "happy writing" means "good luck" or "have fun tearing your hair out for the next five years".

• David
      4 years agoReport

All the answers were good but I loved your description of the two worlds best. Thanks everyone!

I've said it a few times, and what the others are saying is how I mean it. It's a wish that the writing goes well for that person.

Am I always happy while writing? No. A lot of times it's difficult, like pulling teeth, but I feel better after it's over...usually.

I also get that sense of relief, but it's more like I've solved a problem. I usually just feel like I'm worrying at a puzzle, trying to figure out how each piece works together. If I fiddle long enough, each blue section will suddenly link together to make a picture of the sky.

I sometimes get that sense of happiness, usually when I hit the zone of perfection, and the words almost magically appear on the page. Those are few and far between.

I guess it depends on what you're writing. I mean I write darker material but I am happy while doing it. I guess it's more "I'm finally writing this **** out" type of happy. I do understand what they mean but it's difficult to explain.

I think it's an awkward way of saying 'good luck.' I certainly don't feel happy when I'm writing either...but I'm sure the intention is a nice one.

Sometimes yes; sometimes no. Somebody who says "happy writing" is wishing you more of the former than of the latter. Please try to take their wishes in the spirit in which they are offered, instead of being a turd about it.