benjamin asked in PetsFish · 4 years ago

can I have a dinosaur bichir with 3 other fish in a 50 gallon tank (look at details)?

I have a spacious 50 gallon aquarium with a betta, guppy, and a red speckled platy and they all 3 ALWAYS swim together just fine... Though I've been looking into dinosaur bichirs and I want one now. Should I or not...?

Favorite Answer

I have a Senegal Bichir (dinosaur) he does just fine with all my other fish (red tail sharks, Skirt Tetras, and clown loaches) the clown loach is about the size of your Platy's. He has never bothered any other fish, they re opportunistic feeders and prefer something easy to get to. Also, I keep mine well fed, Once a week I buy a dozen or more ghost shrimp, once a day when I make dinner I will cut him a small piece of what ever meat I'm cooking and throw it in the tank for a treat... I have had him for a little over a year now and no issues with other fish. Be careful tho, if you forget to feed him he might go after one of your others. Oh, I also feed him earth worms, small crickets, and any other fresh meat small enough for him to eat.

• benjamin4 years agoReport

Thank you, will now be buying one. 😃