Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 4 years ago

Wedding reception classy songs?

I would love to hear suggestions for current, modern classy songs that would keep people dancing at my upcoming wedding reception. My fiancé has a very conservative family so I plan to play a lot of oldies, but I would love to get some ideas of current songs that would keep my friends and family on th dance floor as well! Thank you in advance for all of your help!

Favorite Answer

All of Me by John Legend

Safe & Sound by Capital Cities

XO by Beyonce

Treasure by Bruno Mars

Happy by Pharrell Williams

Who You Love-John Mayer featuring Katy Perry

I Don't Dance by Lee Brice

Mirrors by Justin Timberlake

I Choose You by Sara Bareilles

Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran

Coming Home by Leon Bridges

A Sky Full of Stars by Coldplay

Shut and Dance by Walk The Moon

Sugar by Maroon 5

I Want You to Know by Zedd and Selena Gomez

Only One by Kanye West and Paul McCartney

Love You Like That by Canaan Smith

Say Hey I Love You by Michael Franti and Spearhead

This is what you ask your expert professional DJ or band leader, and the very reason you need one.

It would take a nanosecond for the place to fall dead quiet if you played YMCA for a conservative crowd,and a real professional would know that.

Some people feel they should be choosing the music all themselves, and that is dead wrong, unless you both are going to a conservatory or teach comparative music. Hire a real professional, so you don't ruin everything else you have planned - they will show you selections from which you can choose, and tweak it accordingly depending upon how things are going during the reception- something you shouldn't be thinking about.

I agree with Rosalie on the importance of a good DJ. Was this in your plans? A good DJ can save your butt (mine did!) because most of us aren't savvy enough to know the difference between a song that everyone likes vs one that will get people up there dancing.

For example, under oldies, I wanted an Elton John song and my DJ told me it was a horrible choice. He suggested Crocodile Rock, a song I loathe. But he talked me into it and it emptied the room! I cringed the whole time, but my guests were happy.

Someone posted an internet list here and looking through it, even I can tell it wouldn't work. I love everything Ed Sheeran does, for example, but acoustic stuff is terrible for dancing. It's too fast to be slow and too slow to be fast.

So I suggest you just list the more recent songs you like and take them to a DJ. If you can't afford one, see if you can't "rent" him just to work with you on your playlist. My sister did this. She couldn't afford one for the wedding, but found one she could pay for an hour just to help her put it together.

• On your RSVP's you can ask what type of music or songs your guests want to hear at you wedding and that can help you find a DJ that's willing work with the music that you and your guests like. Your guests should also be able to request the songs they like, no questions asked.

The DJ should know how to drop a beat on any song that they play.

• Mikki

Not current or classy, but at my wedding (7 years ago), the song that got everyone out on the floor and dancing was YMCA.

Christmas Ghost by The Raveonettes (Nothing about Christmas)

And Your Song the soundtrack in the movie Moulin Rouge

up where we belong by joe cocker

these are romantic songs, very meaningfully beautiful songs.

• nanu

I ain't never