Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 4 years ago

How did Buddhism begin?

I have to do a presentation on Buddhism but all of the websites I find have different answers.

Can you explain to me, in a shorter response, that explains how the religion began? It is only one slide of my presentation.

Thank you!

• Wayf
    Favorite Answer

Siddhartha Gautama was a prince. He lived his life sequestered from the everyday lives of the poverty-stricken, but one day he decided to go out from the gates of his palace and see for himself what was out there. What he found astonished him. Eventually, he found a nice spot under the Bodhi tree and meditated until enlightment showed him the way. He understood at once that life is suffering and that there were paths to help avoid suffering. This was in about 500 BCE in present day Nepal.

That's about all I can tell you from memory. It's been about 13 years since I had a really serious interest in Buddhism and read a lot about it, but I'm pretty sure what I've written is fairly accurate. I imagine someone who is actually a practicing Buddhist could give you a better explantion, but I don't see any around at the moment -- just a hypocritical Christian fundamentalist who knows absolutely nothing about anything other than her own religion.

• ?4 years agoReport

I am Christian too and I don't know any Buddhist to ask! But thank you!

Buddhism was, in part, a reaction against Hinduism.

Once upon a time, a sheltered song of a King left the palace and discovered that suffering happens in life.

This was such a shock to him, he left the palace to seek a solution to suffering.

He found it.

And taught the techniques.

• Ok!

There was a prince, he saw suffering in life, he wanted to understand why we suffer and can we stop it, he went on a journey, got enlightened, started to teach, died and then his students kept teaching going.

• Harold

Maybe you should go old school. Go to a library and do research.

• ?4 years agoReport

My parents won't let me. I don't know if you ever turn on the ******* news, but if you did, you'd see there is a snow storm. Not every person on here is a 15 year old who is too lazy to do their homework. That ******* pisses me off.