catmich99 asked in PetsCats · 4 years ago

Question about feral cat in the house with a runny nose?

I introduced a feral cat in the house. I took the cat to the vet and checked for feline aids and feline leukemia, and he is negative. But I worry about a runny nose. He doesn't have one now. But when I first trapped him and brought him into the garage he had a runny, dripping nose. I asked the vet about it and to be honest I didn't understand her lengthy answer which had many ifs in it (if this, if that, if maybe, etc). Despite trying to keep the feral cat in the garage, he has come into the living room on a few occasions to socialize and laid on my house cats beds. So I am worried about some kind of herpes virus now. I had my cats vaccinated a few months ago right after I bought the feral into the environment. Can you give me information about my concerns?

• Nikia
    Favorite Answer

You did mention you asked the vet and she gave a lot of "ifs". It isn't a lot to go on but I assume that means she wasn't entirely sure what caused the runny nose so she was explaining the possible causes instead? You did mention you had the cat checked for feline AIDs and feline Leukemia but you didn't specifically mention any other tests. If the cat was fully tested and there was nothing too abnormal then it shouldn't be much of an issue, it was feral, it could have simply had something stuck up its nose which caused it to run until whatever it was worked itself out. If the cat wasn't fully tested then you should likely do that.

• John M

Take a stool sample to the vet and have it checked for roundworms.

• catmich994 years agoReport

I did as you suggested. But I don't know what my stool sample has to do with the cat.

• bette

did u ask the vet?