Anonymous

Why don't Blacks ever even get nominated at the Oscars?

Jada Pinkett Smith is boycotting the Oscars this year cuz there is not enough Black nominations.

Are the Oscars racist?

Favorite Answer

SMH!

Oscar nominations are very serious. It's just Blacks have not been in that many amazing movies this year. I guess it's okay to complain, but boycotting the Oscars just for that is very ignorant and immature. Will Smith is probably ashamed of his wife right now.

Also, keep in mind that Blacks only make up about 12% of USA's population, so obviously that means they are less likely to be in the Oscars and all other things in general.

@Anon- Straight Outta Compton was average at best. It doesn't matter how much money it made or what your friends think, they are not critics and usually very bias. It is was a very messy movie and all over the place. It's just not a good narrative. I know it's obviously based off their life, but the events shown in the movie barely have any connection most the time. It doesn't flow. It's like,"Hey, remember when this happened, lets put that in the movie." The ending was so lame too, where is the connection? "I'm gunna start Aftermath" then End credits. WTF?

To the people who thinks it's racist that Straight Outta Compton is not at the Oscars are dumb. The movie just sucks, has nothing to do with race. They can make the same exact movie except with the Beastie Boys and it would still suck. The Oscars are VERY critical, its the most seriously taken awards, pretty much ever. This is not the MTV movie awards.

Hustle and Flow was a fantastic movie and won an Oscar, cuz it deserved it. So the Oscars aren't racist, they just only nominate people when they actually deserve it(generally).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-StMfE8NrA

Youtube thumbnail

• My question is...how long has this pattern lasted, If it is ONLY for the last 2 or so years then perhaps, just perhaps those movies in which black people are included in the acting of production or directing, may be they wern't good enough, but have been in previous years, and therefore the accusations of racism have no foundation.

Though if it is the case that black actors and directors producers etc are never getting even nominations then I would indeed suspect foul play..

In either case I see a very simple solution to this, situatin, at least ethically, Western nations all pride themselves on being democracies not least The US and France

So how about a simple democratc solution, let the people who watch the films decide who are the best actors directors producers and films, no one can realistically argue with a democratic system in fact shouldn't that be the case for all catagories? and accepts these results as the choicee of the viewing public, rather than some opinionated byast balding white senior males?

• aleya4 years agoReport

I think everything you said is stupid your most likely just another white racist.

Blacks DO get nominated at the Oscars. It's just that this past 2 years in a row no blacks have won the coveted trophy. Just because things happen this way out of the blue does not mean it's a racist thing going on. As long as her husband is getting noticed Jada is all for the Oscars but if he doesn't do well or get nominated or get an oscar then she's holding it against people everywhere that they didn't choose him. It's all childish talk. When are people going to grow up? We could say other races aren't getting nominated but then again how may of them in comparison to how many are in the movies are noticed. C'mon now, how many red native Americans have won, or how many Asians "of all kinds" have won? It's not because they aren't white, it's because they either didn't have a great movie they were in, or the job they did just wasn't one of the main roles and they did a superb and noticed job in it and the film made a huge bunch of money.

Since the beginning of time black films NEVER got the proper acknowledgement they deserve. Film business is a white business. Blacks should have been boycotted the Oscars years ago but deep down its like blacks want acceptance from whites so bad. But face it, blacks are more talented than whites and whites know that. If all blacks went back to Africa this whole country will fall apart. I'm just wondering why all of sudden, now blacks wanna call the Oscars out on their bs? The Academy Awards been full of it from day 1. They only acknowledge black films that are downgrading to blacks. Like seriously, they gave PRECIOUS an award? Don't get me wrong the movie was okay but I've seen way more better black films and those films wasn't even acknowledged. And when do black films ever get awarded for things other than directing, acting or screenwriting? Blacks are good all across the broader from the set decorater to the lighting department but they never get award for that. RACIST!

• aleya4 years agoReport

Melanie Davis you are the worst human being alive all your people are known for is stealing and killing you killed and beat slaves and Christopeher Columbus did not discover land he took land from the native Americans that already found it. All you do is hurt everyone and think everyone loves you.

• Deino

They do.

Maybe there was a scarcity of relevant black work this past year. At least that's a far more likely scenario than some racist machination. Maybe people thought they could get away with not investing in a token black when, as the cards fell, there wasn't anybody most deserving of a nomination who happened to be black? Maybe we're at peace, and nobody knows...

Or screw it.

Maybe everybody in Hollywood is an evil white bigot racist; maybe nothing done in the past has any relevance and was all related to strong-arming people in power via civil rights protests; maybe there are a bunch of black people who way outperformed whites and didn't get nominations because white people are scared of losing their dominance over film and television in light of the obvious superiority of black people and so black people are intentionally kept out of the spotlight.

But I think the first thing I said is more likely- you know, based on the world and history and culture and reason and whatnot.

Most of these answers are totally off point.. There will some good performances this year and years before.. Not lack of.. There was just a shortage of the roles that usually get "Black" people nominated... Chadwick Boseman from Get on Up got snubbed all the way around.. And he did great as James Brown.. And David Oyelowo should have at least been nominated for his portayal of Dr. MLK Jr. But since these weren't slave, maid, and stereotypical roles of what they think "Black" people excel in, then they disregarded it.. Some people are saying that there are just fewer roles for "Black" people, and that's true.. But, that's not the reason.. So, I'd say that the Oscars are sort of racist..

• susan
      4 years agoReport

Neither of the actors you name were in any 2015 movies. Those were 2014 movies, and you are probably right that they should have been nominated then.

The issue is the scripts written and accepted by production companies/producers this year reflected a difference in the percentage of films that could go to black actors. I'd like to see more films with talented actors of all race, but not just to fill a quota. The importance is to tell a story that touches people's hearts. Rising above struggle and despair, good people of all backgrounds learning to live together in peace, educating everybody about our common interests rather than our differences, smashing the ideal of racism forever. There are so many great actors of all races out there on stage, T.V. and in movies.We are all part of the human race and share this world together. So if movies aren't up to the satisfaction of certain communities, the finger needs to be pointed at the people who choose or decline the scripts, not those who chose awards.

• Dip! Just Dip!
      4 years agoReport

I really don't go to movies much anymore. I can get a headache at home for free. But when I did used to go a lot, I'd choose my own nominees and winner, and compare to the Golden Globes & Oscars. Quite a difference in my choices & theirs. I realized that if I like it, it won't be acknowledged.

Actually they do get nominated sometimes but the question is about the winners. The question is since the oscars started over 80 years ago why there is only less than 20 African Americans Oscar winners (and the ones who won oscars were a role of slavery,villains or African American depression

Blacks have been nominated, just not in the last two years. In fact, Hattie McDaniel, a black woman, won an Oscar in 1939 for best supporting actor and was highly criticized by the black community for accepting the role. So it would seem that there is no satisfying people.

They usually don't because they just don't come across on screen as likable by a largely white audience. The majority of moviegoers are white, can relate to and want to see people like themselves on film. This is not racist. It is human nature.Blacks and whites in movies together should not be the norm. Blacks should continue with their BET award shows and make them more inclusive of all blacks and unique talent. Plus they should stop being afraid of the blacks they say "look too white." Can't play the race card if you are racist as well.