Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 4 years ago

Windows 10 - Hard Shutdown, Possible Registry Problem?

Hello, I recently got a Dell tower, and just a couple days ago, my cable came unplugged and the computer shut down in the middle of Grand Theft Auto V. When rebooting, Steam constantly would shut on and off, and GTA was rendered useless. I then removed Steam, and reinstalled, as I figured this was the issue, but, It still continued after installing the game again. Today I was trying to work from home, and webpages refused to load. I then decided to check Steam and see if it was flickering on and off as well, and it was. The problem I have figured out, is not Steam, I don't THINK it's a hardware issue, But I DO think it is Windows 10... I reverted back to the previous version of Win10 thinking maybe it was the update, but later to realize it may be a registry issue, though pushing the idea aside I updated my built in wifi adapters, but to no avail. I'm turning to Yahoo Answers for some more thoughts, I've got 700$ invested in this PC, so you could imagine why I don't like it to be useless. (Also, everything on the computer works fine, except anything that uses internet, and it is NOT my internet itself, as every other computer I own works perfectly fine). Thank you for any help you can provide.

UPDATE: As it turns out, I'm the worlds biggest moron... I had my computer tower blocked by my desk frame, and an infrared heater blocking the signal as well, which makes sense why the signal was weak, not simply non-existent if it was a registry issue, thanks for your help, everyone.

Favorite Answer

what do you mean by 'steam would constantly shut on and off' and 'steam flickering on and off'?

does steam start up at all?

do you have the steam client run and are you able to open the games/store list?

• try reinstalling the drivers for the WiFi, connect with another working device and download the latest ones for it, then put them onto the computer and install.

what cable "came unplugged"? let's suppose it was the cat 5 Internet cable. it latches when you push it in all the way. if it "came unplugged" because some great force was exerted on it accidentally [the cable was trapped under something when the computer was moved?] it is possible that the cat 5 socket was damaged or its connection to the motherboard unseated.

same for any other cable that latches in -- it may have damaged the motherboard.

and if that's the case, you've likely got about a $200 repair ...

try the Windows repair tool as well -- Win 10 isn't the most stable thing going

Source(s): homebuilder
    • Sorry I wasn't more specific, I meant the power cable..

Try Windows 7- stable.

Simply go to control panel power options choose what the power button does.

At the top of page click show settings that are unavailable.

Then uncheck fast start!.

Then try restarting did that clear it up?

If so you can reenable fast start