Normal to feel clueless in nursing school?

I am going into my final semester of nursing school. I'm doing well. I get good grades, have passed all my classes, understand all the theory of everything I have been taught. I feel week in my fundamental skills such as transferring patients without a hoist, for example, or helping someone onto the toilet. I'm only 5'4" and 120 lbs. I have a CNA job, but I only work occasionally. I have a hard time helping a person onto their feet, and they always get scared that I am going to drop them. I don't feel comfortable with this. I am scared I will end up at my first job (I want to work in ED in a hosp) and not be able to transfer someone properly. Advice?

• Kathy
    Favorite Answer

Start doing some weight training. For women of course. Leg lunges, deep knee bends with your arms straight out in front of you and your feet apart. lift milk cartons to elbow level. Little things like that. Standing for 2 minutes on one leg at a time will give your ankles and calves and thighs strength and you more confidence. Walk slowly around the house with your knees bent and stretching your leg out in front before you set it down.

If the patient leans on you and you don't wobble at all they will feel safe no matter how short you are.

Plus don't just hold their hand take their hand and then grab them around the waist or upper arm tightly

Play like you are a ROCK k

This is a matter which requires the help of an expert. You are wise to recognize the problem early and to want to avoid any consequence that might develop. Talk to your instructors about your concern. Often, there are special techniques which are helpful to health care workers who are smaller and still must deal with larger, heavier patients. One of your teachers might recommend strength training, and that's something to consider, since you will need to be able to deal with whatever patient comes your way, small or large. Lots of nurses are smaller, but can still handle patients of all sizes, and you can learn how to do so too, with your instructors' help.