Will being a woman interested in the engineering field actually give me a leg up in regards to college applications?

I'm a sophomore in high school and want to go into engineering or another STEM major. I know women interested in these subjects are "in demand", but will this really effect my chances of getting into a top university?

Favorite Answer

First, check out Smith College in Northampton MA. A women's college with an engineering major.

As for getting into engineering, as a woman, you still need the grades that any male would need. It is just that if all else is equal then the woman may have some preference. But with the number of women going into engineering their advantage is getting to be less than it used to be.

My daughter got her PhD in civil engineering this year and found at her level that most women go into environmental engineering. My daughter got 3 serious, 2 job offers and now works as a transportation analyst for the same consulting firn her husband works for (with a masters in Computer Science).

• Anika4 years agoReport

I'll check our that college thanks! I'm thinking about majoring in material engineering and maybe nano tech as graduate work, we'll see. Your daughter seems really smart and successful. Anyways thank you for your and her's insight it's really helpful.

You're nothing special. Quite a few women in engineering, computer-related, sciences, etc. E.g. women aiming for med school outnumber men. So don't expect anything special. Your grades, recommendations, and everything else matter, same as for all the other applicants - male & female.

You're 40+ years behind the times on that. Thank the Boomers for breaking those former barriers.

• Anika4 years agoReport

Wasn't implying that I'm anything special. I actually agree, many people tell me women in these stem fields have a sort of advantage, but I've always been a little skeptical of this. Thank you regardless.