Should people with mental disabilities be able to own a firearm?

This came to my mind because my friends cousin brother died last night because of a guy that ran into a school and started fireing. He was mental. He had some sort of disability. What do you think. Awarding best answer

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Squid
    Lv 7
    5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Depends on the disability, but yes there should be a list of mental conditions that prevent gun ownership. This is one of the driver's for people who support 100% background checks.

• 5 years ago

Not all mental issues are the same; not even close. Who would be the one to dictate questions to be asked and which way is "correctly" answered?! To complicate the issue more, mental issue manifests in each person in varied degrees. Labeling one issue as "unfit' will inevitably deny others in that category a legal right to own a firearm. Think hard of our military; many have some form of mental issue or similar problem especially once returned from deployment. Really want to strip our heroes & protectors of the arms they were federally, legally, and constantly trained to use? Seriously, I mean really put thought into this; what about the members of police forces, corrections officers, who see and experience SO much on a DAILY basis? Think they don't develop some issues-some pretty serious?

So watch where you or anyone else tries to draw a line in the sand regarding this issue. You yourself may very well end up on the other side one day; giving you understanding you currently lack.

Source(s): My source is experience in working within the related area.
  • 5 years ago

How do you define mental disabilities? Should we deny firearms to all Christians because of the Christians who murder abortion clinic workers?

You can't vilify a whole group of people because of the actions of a handful. That's, sadly, what is happening. If a court determines that someone is a danger to others and can't be improved with treatment, then fine, limit them. But not all people. They are vilified enough.

Funnily, the NRA wants to make it so anyone, including the dangerous mentally ill and terrorists can easily buy guns with no background check.

Source(s): Mental patient advocate.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

I think anyone who wants to own a gun should have to go through intense screening and training, and then be able to pass a test proving that they know what they are doing and are in the right state of mind, but anyone (with an exceptions to criminals) should have the option to try to get one, and the process should be the same for everyone. If a person couldn't successfully go through the process then they would be considered unfit to own a gun, regardless of whether it was caused by a disability or something else.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

I think that to be able to own a gun you should be required to take a test that determines how mentally stable you are. If someone has a mental disability they should not be able to own a gun. Sometimes they are not in the right mind set and will do irrational things without thinking about them.

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

No private individual should be able to own a firearm at all.

• ?
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

Do you have a link to a news article about this?

• 5 years ago

Depends on the disability.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.