catmich99 asked in PetsCats · 4 years ago

If the feline leukemia tests for my ferals come back negative can I introduce them to my house cats?

I am taking them to the vet tomorrow. I am hoping for a negative result on their tests (they are also getting spayed and neutered). My question is, is there a waiting period for the test before I know whether or not they have any contagious diseases, or will tomorrow's testing be able to tell me what I need to know? They have been living in my garage for 2 months, and I want to introduce them to my cats.

• J C
    Favorite Answer

The test generally only takes 10 minutes. They need to be wormed and flea treated, and the one you got neutered will need a good two weeks for the male hormones to leave his system. Don t try before that as he s going to think he s still an intact male and you are going to have spraying or fights. Once those hormones are gone, you can begin *gradually* introducing them to your cats over a period of a week or two. Google "proper cat integration" for tips - you can t plunk them down in a room together and expect everyone to like each other.

I know the test results only take 10 minutes, but I was asking about whether there is another waiting period. I mean, for example, I know you have to bring cats back for a booster shot after the initial shot. So I wondered if there was some kind of safe waiting period related to the fiv shots that I need to concern my self with.

• Rae
      4 years agoReport

My cat got his 3 sets of kitten shots and a rabies booster because it's required by law, after that all he gets is a rabies booster every 3 years.

• Rae

No, the tests takes about 10 minutes to show results. I had to get my kitten tested for FIV and FeLV when I brought him home, and I was in and out the same day with the results. You will need to confine these cats to their own room with their own litter boxes for a awhile though, and then slowly introduce them to your other cats. They need time to acclimate to their new enviroment and minimize stress on them and the other cats.

They'll fight. Cats are very territorial and your cats consider themselves a 'colony' and where they live is THEIRS!

I think your vet should be able to answer this question. Considering you are going tomorrow you should ask.