promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
catmich99 asked in PetsCats · 4 years ago

If the feline leukemia tests for my ferals come back negative can I introduce them to my house cats?

I am taking them to the vet tomorrow. I am hoping for a negative result on their tests (they are also getting spayed and neutered). My question is, is there a waiting period for the test before I know whether or not they have any contagious diseases, or will tomorrow's testing be able to tell me what I need to know? They have been living in my garage for 2 months, and I want to introduce them to my cats.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • J C
    Lv 7
    4 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The test generally only takes 10 minutes. They need to be wormed and flea treated, and the one you got neutered will need a good two weeks for the male hormones to leave his system. Don t try before that as he s going to think he s still an intact male and you are going to have spraying or fights. Once those hormones are gone, you can begin *gradually* introducing them to your cats over a period of a week or two. Google "proper cat integration" for tips - you can t plunk them down in a room together and expect everyone to like each other.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

I know the test results only take 10 minutes, but I was asking about whether there is another waiting period. I mean, for example, I know you have to bring cats back for a booster shot after the initial shot. So I wondered if there was some kind of safe waiting period related to the fiv shots that I need to concern my self with.

• ...Show all comments
    • Rae
      Lv 6
      4 years agoReport

My cat got his 3 sets of kitten shots and a rabies booster because it's required by law, after that all he gets is a rabies booster every 3 years.

• Rae
    Lv 6
    4 years ago

No, the tests takes about 10 minutes to show results. I had to get my kitten tested for FIV and FeLV when I brought him home, and I was in and out the same day with the results. You will need to confine these cats to their own room with their own litter boxes for a awhile though, and then slowly introduce them to your other cats. They need time to acclimate to their new enviroment and minimize stress on them and the other cats.

• 4 years ago

They'll fight. Cats are very territorial and your cats consider themselves a 'colony' and where they live is THEIRS!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

I think your vet should be able to answer this question. Considering you are going tomorrow you should ask.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.