What should I do for college?

Bare with me, I literally know nothing about college or anything that has to do with college. First off, not to sound cocky or anything just an FYI, money is not an issue for me at all. So as of right now i don't know what i want to major in I'm really stuck. I like working with my hands, I'm an ASE certified mechanic, but i only like doing stuff like that as a hobby. I've considered engineering, but I don't know. I'm really into business and money, like REALLY into it. I'm willing to work extremely hard to get the most money i can. 200k isn't a lot if money to me, 200k a year is a lot. I've researched some stuff but nothing really answered my questions specifically. I've read getting an MBA is good, and I've also heard it's not worth it? I've also read financing is good to get into? I don't know what would honestly be the best choice for me. I don't want to hear "money isn't everything" because your everything and my everything are much different. My second question is about college. This is the stuff i don't know. So I'm looking to attend a 2 year community school then transfer to a 4 year school. How does that work exactly? If i did really good for the 2 years in a community school, could I transfer to a school like Cornell, Stanford, Colombia? Like is it possible to get into a school like that, transferring from a community school? Again, I know these schools are very pricey but money is not an issue for me.

Thanks for your time.

• Prof
    Favorite Answer

First, you should not worry about a major. Kelli is right. If you want to go to a 4-year school that does not take transfer students, then avoid CC and apply to the 4-year school of your choice. It is more expensive, but you say money is not an issue. Second, the first two years of college are used to satisfy general education requirements, which means you take classes in English, history, social sciences, sciences, math, and humanities. This gives you a chance to explore a variety of fields and find out what you really like. Third, it is very valuable to take a series on inventory tests that give you some idea of what interests you and where your talents lie. These are not tests you pass or fail, they evaluate your interests and show in which fields you are most likely to be successful.

If you like to make things and you are already a mechanic, you would probably like engineering as a major, where you can be creative. But that depends on how you like the math courses you will have to take. Engineering and math pay well. In business, accounting and finance are good fields. Again, don't be in a rush to decide. Your major courses are in the last two years of school, so you have time. One important consideration: Good grades are crucial. Do the best you can in every course; do not slack off. You will regret it later.

Finally, regardless of major, and MBA may be valuable, but you should be aware of these facts: MBA programs accept students from any undergraduate field. They prefer students who do not have a business major because there is too much duplication between undergraduate business classes and MBA classes, and it leaves students with a narrow focus. Businesses hiring MBA graduates want students who can understand and communicate with the scientists and engineers that they have to manage. The best majors are STEM majors (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics), but other majors are acceptable. Any field can use good management.

MBA programs prefer students with 2-5 years of work experience after your first degree. To enroll in an MBA program without work experience is usually a waste of time and money. You are less attractive as a job candidate than someone with an undergraduate business degree because they have a major in a relevant field, and you are less attractive in your undergraduate field because you have been out of it for two years and are obsolete and in competition with more attractive new graduates. If your undergraduate degree and work experience are not STEM related, plan on 4-5 year of work experience. If it is STEM related, 2-3 years is enough

• Kelli

Some top tier universities do not take transfer students, so you would need to check with them before starting your plan. However, you can still get a good education from a public university that will accept CC transfers. I don't think you need to worry about an MBA (or other graduate degree) until you first start on your BA. Sounds like business might be the major you want to pursue.

• Brian4 years agoReport

Okay, thanks a lot for the help!