Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 5 years ago

What exactly are the most likely causes of the Big Bang?

This question has been making my head spin for as long as I can remember and I truly would like some extra knowledge on this. This question perplexes me so, because matter can neither be created or destroyed.

Thanks for the help dear friends.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Quantum Fluctuation of Dark Energy in the "Mother Universe." (Mother Universe is the Space-time our universe is expanding into)

Creation of the Universe

The 20 minute talk by Brian Greene at TED (Below) givers a good explanation of how this works.

Multiverse Theory follows logically from known quantum mechanics and asking, “What is the universe expanding into?”

We make the assumption that there is a "hyper Spacetime" that has always existed. (what the universe is expanding into)

There must be a bottom to the rabbit hole of existence. At some point: Where did ______ come from, must have the answer:

Someone or something has always existed

God has always existed and created spacetime.

Spacetime has always existed

Both statements are equally valid. Take your choice.

Anyhow:

Spacetime is not nothing. It has properties, it can be bent, warped, twisted. Spacetime has structure. Spacetime is pervaded by Dark Energy. In fact, Dark Energy may be the structure of Spacetime, what we call the "Fabric of Spacetime

So, we have a huge amount of energy stored in the Fabric of Spacetime. A quantum fluctuation releases some of that energy as a Big Bang creating a universe. It is all a matter of scale This process has gone on in the past and continues today creating an infinite number of universes. We see the Big Bang not as a unique event, but as a regular event that fits with a logical, consistant physical process. Physics makes the most sense without unique events. A physics that allows unique events is unpredictable and borders on magic.

Source(s):

Fabric of the Cosmos, Brian Greene

Scientific American on Multiverse Theory

http://www.ted.com/talks/brian_greene_wh...

Inflationary Universe, A New Theory of Cosmic Origins, Alan Guth

Tegmark, Max (May 2003). "Parallel Universes". Scientific American.

• Myles
    Lv 6
    5 years ago

Nobody claims to know how the Big Bang happened or what caused it (no honest person, anyway). Also, the Big Bang was not a creation of matter, it was merely the expansion of matter than already existed. One hypothesis is that this current universe is just one cycle of a Big Bang/Big Crunch that happens over and over again, and that when the matter is sufficiently compressed, that is what causes the next expansion. However, we cannot know this for sure, as the laws of physics as we know them do not operate under such conditions.

• 5 years ago

Remember that were basing our knowledge on things that have been explored; these theories that we have could be so wrong or twisted that make us believe that matter can't be destroyed but I'm just thinking maybe it's wrong. Maybe the theory of black holes was right and the black hole sucked up the matter and then destroyed itself; leaving the rest of matter to collide at the point of where it existed. So things collided and created the sun whose Gravity was so great it made its own universe around it; like a bigger version of a planet with several moons that just go around that planet. The real question you should be asking is: what was there before black holes and what's inside the black hole, is there existence behind it?

• 5 years ago

Matter is created and destroyed continuously - the conversion of matter to energy is fundamental to the workings of the universe. However no-one really understands how time works or the scenario around the big bang, only the consequences of it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.