Is this a good Camera?

I have a Olympus Camera. I think the model is OLYMPUS PEN E-PL2, I'm not really sure..

I was just wondering, (I'm going on a trip) 1. Is my Camera model a decent model to take pictures?

2. Do you think that taking photos with my phone (samsung) is a better choice?

Thanks in advance :)

Favorite Answer

Your phone camera is terrible for taking photos of people because it only has an extreme wide-angle lens. It will however do OK for exterior shots of buildings and landscapes. Any camera that needs to hang on a strap around your neck can be a real nusiance unless you are really into photography, and then, as already mentioned, there are all the connectivity issues.

Depends if you have a budget for a new camera with touch screen and wi-fi etc. But maybe that money would be better spend on getting memories from a nice side-trip?

It may be too expensive to go with a new phone or an actual DSLR or Digital Camera. Your Olympus is fine. BUT two (2) things:

1) Bring a Tripod (for good quality shots - because 95% of the time, a bad photo is taken from a mobile device whenever there is a shaky hand holding the device)

2) Touch-Up on your photoshop skills. ^_^

Hope that helps!

The E-PL2 is a pretty good camera.

This was taken with an E-PL2

http://www.martingrumet.com/coworker3.jpg

It can take some tweaking and software processing to get best results. White balance is often kind of reddish. The menu system provides a lot of customization, but it is quite a labyrinth. Some submenus are hiddden by default and have to be user selected to display. By default Olympus likes to turn up noise filtering pretty high, resulting in smudgy artifact. Buried in the menu, it can be turned off, and it should be.

The camera will take better pictures (especially in the dark due to better light sensors and flash) if you want them to look professional but could be inconvenient to bring along and if you want to post photos online while you're on the trip, you will have to bring a cable or adapter to transfer your photos to a computer. Smartphone picture quality is good enough under most circumstances if you just want to take photos for posting online or to keep as a remembrance and the phone will be more convenient to haul around. Using your phone will allow you to post photos on the go if you're blogging. Just remember to take an extra phone battery or external charger if you're going with the phone and make sure you have enough storage on your phone.

• John P

"I'm not really sure about model name"?? Is the model type not clearly written on the camera somewhere? With that scale of ditziness, you might indeed be better off using a phone camera.

Yes that quite decent micro 4/3 camera. bring it to your trip along with your phone and use them both.

It's okay. Google "comparefroggy camera recommendation collection". This will help you decide what you want.

Some submenus are hiddden by default and have to be user selected to display. By default Olympus likes to turn up noise filtering pretty high, resulting in smudgy artifact. Buried in the menu, it can be turned off, and it should be.

Yes but depend you.

Idk