?

Songs of Leonard Cohen by Leonard Cohen turned 48 this month. What are your thoughts on this album?

Rock & Pop, what is your take on Songs of Leonard Cohen by Leonard Cohen? Personally, I'd say that Songs of Leonard Cohen is an excellent album. A lot of it consists of quiet, rustic-sounding folk that is contemplative, calm & beautiful in its own way. Even though Leonard Cohen's vocals are lacking in expressiveness & range, his vocal style adds to the mood of the album, and his lyrics have such poignant imagery to them. Overall, Songs of Leonard Cohen is a classic piece of 60s folk, and it's just as good as the work of Bob Dylan & Van Morrison, in my opinion.

BQ: Favorite songs from Songs of Leonard Cohen?

BQ2: What are your thoughts on Leonard Cohen's vocals & lyrics on this album?

BQ3: What are your thoughts on 60s folk, in general?

BQ4: If Songs of Leonard Cohen was a person in real life, then what type of person would it be?

Favorite Answer

Leonard Cohen is one of my favourite songwriters, he has a beautiful profile of work, I have collected all of it and it is in my opinion brilliant. Songs Of Leonard Cohen is one of my favourite albums. Leonard's voice in this album is soothing and calm, very gentle, as he progressed into later albums his voice developed a rougher sound, I think you start to notice it by 'Songs Of Love And Hate'. I personally think Bob Dylan's work isn't as fluent as Leonard Cohen's as he has had some not so good albums.

BQ - Favourite songs from 'Songs Of Leonard Cohen'?

I would have to say 'Suzanne', 'The Stranger Song' 'So Long Marianne' and 'Hey, That's No Way To Say Goodbye' are my favourite songs of the album. It was hard to choose just a couple as the album is very good.

BQ2 : What are your thoughts on Leonard Cohen's vocals and lyrics on this album?

His vocals seem southing to me, placid and in a way, beautiful. The lyric to So Long Marianne 'I see you've gone and changed your name again' to me implies that she has remarried and it has broken his heart. You see a gentle side of him in his lyrics, I also think Hey, That's No Way To Say Goodbye shows the gentle side of him.

BQ3: What are your thoughts on 60s folk, in general? I like some 60s folk, I like Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Joan Baez and Simon & Garfunkel. I know I'm missing some out.

BQ4: If Songs Of Leonard Cohen was a person in real life, then what type of person would it be? I think a gentle soul, with a side of sadness and a little bit of contempt, who could burst at the seams at any minute.

Is think Leonard Cohen's best performance and album is "Leonard Cohen Live From London." The music is captivating and I think his voice became better as he got older. This is evident in this album. Were one to listen to the same songs in his earlier albums, one will find his voice not to be as good as it is in his later albums. I think he mellowed with age and we all benefit because he improved the range of his voice and kept his genius with the guitar. Leonard Cohen is a national treasure in Canada where he's lived most of his life.

I first started listening to this album a lot a few years back when I drove a truck up and down the Long Island Expressway late at night. Just me, the darkness, and Mr. Cohen. I loved listening to it, mostly because I had no idea what the hell he was ever singing about but like you said, he does conjure up a lot of imagery and that was fun when there's just a road ahead of you.