chemistry help?

I have some questions in chemistry that I don't understand I'd appreciate it if you could help me understand them.

1) Carbon is the chemical basis for all life on earth. lead is a poison that can cause muscle deterioration and brain damage. Although these 2 elements are in the same group, some of their properties are very different.Propose a reason for this.

2) Which of Dalton's principles was contradicted by the bombs that were dropped on hiroshima and nagasaki? By a doctor using radioactive isotopes to trace chemicals in the body?

3) Do any of Dalton's principles still hold completely true today? If so, which ones.

4) Is it possible to verify the current model of the atom by direct observation? Explain

5) How are frames that run through a movie projector similar to the quantum concept?

6) How is an atom like a city?

7) How does Heisenberg's uncertainty principle make it impossible to know completely the exact structure of an atom?

thank you!! :)

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 4 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Somebody's homework....

1. From carbon down to lead in group IVA, the elements change from nonmetal to metal.

2. Dalton said that all atoms of a single element were the same. Seems like a really good idea, yet he had no way to anticipate the existence of isotopes of the same element.

3. The way Dalton presented the atomic theory is so convoluted that there are many variations and interpretations of what he said.

a. All matter is composed of atoms -- True today

b. Atoms are indestructible -- Nope, subatomic particles exist

c. Atoms of the same element are the same, atoms of different elements are different -- Nope, isotopes of the same element are subtly different

d. Two or more different atoms combine to form compounds -- True today

e. Chemical reactions are the result of the rearrangement of atoms to form new products -- True today

4. Nope. Atoms are too small to observe directly, although ways to represent atoms have been developed.

5. A movie is not continuous, but consists of discrete images (frames on film)

6. At atom is not like a city, unless everything in the city is concentrated is concentrated in a couple of cubic feet (nucleus) surrounded by essentially empty space were the few electrons of an atom are found. (A city is a poor analogy for the composition of an atom.)

7. Heisenberg suggested that is was impossible to know both the precise location and momentum of an electron. It is possible to know one but not the other.

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.