How do you finance a new home purchase & renovation?

I am looking to purchase my first home. I am a first time home buyer so I can qualify for what we call in CT CHFA for a reduced mortgage rate. My question is the home I am looking at needs probably about $40-60K of work. The home is listed for $184K. Would I take a mortgage out for $250K to purchase & renovate the home? or Do I take a mortgage out for $184K for the home & then a separate $60K loan for the renovations. I am not positive how this works.

Thank you.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Lol...no.

You need to pay 10-20% down plus closing costs and pre-paids just to buy it. So you'll need about $25-40k just to buy the house.

At that point in time, if you need money for remodeling, you wait until the house has appreciated such that you can take out a home equity loan (or refinance) or you save your cash and pay for your own improvements. Or if you're stupid you could max credit cards and/or borrow from your 401k.

Mortgages are secured loans. There is no "security" for the lender if the house is worth less than the amount borrowed.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

Neither. Probably WON't work, unless you have a lot of cash saved, and maybe not even then since most lenders won't give a mortgage on a house with much wrong with it. And they're not going to lend you more than its current value. Look for a different house.

• Bob
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

They will NOT let you take about a mortgage for more than the house is worth so the best would be the $184K, but in actuality it will be less than that because you need a 10% - 20% down payments. IT is HIGHLY unlikely that you will also then be able to borrow ANOTHER $60K to remodel that house.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.