What audition songs would suit me?

So I try to do a lot of theatre at uni but rarely get cast in any of the musicals. Now I know no matter what happens a lot of people audition for these and your chances are never great but in my most recent one I sang "Out Tonight" from Rent and I thought I did an ok job but wasn t really sure. Anyway, I didn t get it but I was talking with a friend and when I told her what song I did she laughed before apologising and explaining she really didn t think the song would suit me. I thought on it and considering the way I look and act, I guess she has a point. I look very young and I guess have something of a "sweet and innocent" disposition. So I m compiling a list of songs I could do but wouldn t mind having some to add (I may know the songs suggested but am just unsure whether to add them). I m mainly basing it on characters I think suit me. This is my list so far-

"I Can Hear The Bells"- Hairspray

"The Life I Never Led"- Sister Act

"Little Lamb"- Gypsy

"I Know Things Now" and maybe "On The Steps of The Palace"- Into The Woods

"Carrie"- Carrie

"It Might As Well Rain Until September"- Beautiful

"Goodbye Little Dream, Goodbye"- Anything Goes

"If I Were A Bell"- Guys and Dolls

"Better Luck Next Time"- Top Hat

• Cogito
    Favorite Answer

The best plan would be to talk this over with your singing teacher. He/she will know what suits you, what your range is, what your strengths and weaknesses are, and what songs are suitable for the audition.

That's why all people who do any sort of MT need to be attending singing lessons at least once a week.

Doing an 'ok' job is not good enough. You need to be better than everyone else who auditions, and the only way that's going to happen is through lots of hard work with a good teacher.

Keep in mind that the point of an auditiom song isn't just to show off your voice, but to be determine whether an actor is suitable for a role or not. That is why so many auditions request that singers prepare songs similar in style and range to the music in the play they are casting. Never actually do songs from the play itself unless you are specifically requested to do so, but your songs need to demonstrate that you are capable of singing (and acting) whatever it is they are casting for. If you sang a song like "Out Tonight", and you were trying out for Maria in "West Side Story" that is not going to work for several reasons. It MIGHT work for the fiery Anita in the same play, but it still doesn't show off the kind of range and singing ability needed for that musical, not to mentioned that EVERYTHING from "Rent" is very, very, VERY overused as audition material. Those have to listen to yet ANOTHER rendition of "Take Me As I Am" or "Out Tonight", or "On My Own" from "Les Miserables", may sit there while you sing but may be tuning you out entirely unless you really bring something special and exciting to those songs. Even so, if the song isn't suitable for the play, they may still ask if you have anything else with you that you can sing. This doesn't happen very often, and when it does it is usually for someone they THINK might have something they can use but their song doesn't show it.

Likewise, when you want to ACT, you don't necessarily want to depend on playing a character that is exactly like you. On the other hand, you do need to think what it is that you can play realistically. You don't give your age, but certain songs like "Out Tonight" are full of sexual references (and if you missed that, then you shouldn't be singing a song you don't understand, at ANY age). "Take Me As I Am", is another song inexplicably chosen by a lot of really young girls to sing at auditions...never mind it was originally a DUET.

I can list a couple of sites that have lists of overdone audition songs and monologues. There isn't a way sometimes to avoid ALL of them. They are used because most are good, well-known songs, but casting directors are human too, and one MORE "ok" version of those songs will be completely tuned out, or blurred into the other 20 versions they heard that day. (Some people still haven't gotten the word not to use "On My Own" or "Defying Gravity" to really IMPRESS the audition people)

A lot of people will most likely pick songs from the latest musicals currently hits on Broadway or the West End, so unless you NEED contemporary material, it's best to go to much OLDER musicals for song material. Again, depends on what you are trying out FOR. It is also wise to pick only that which you can actually sing extremely WELL, not just OK. It's better to sing a simpler song with personality and heartfelt emotion, than to crash and burn because you picked a difficult song that shows off every vocal shortcoming you have. Furthermore, if you have no idea what "hearfelt emotions" go with the song you have chosen, then you have chosen the WRONG song. I've seen lots of girls, even women, singing a song like "Daddy's Son" from "Ragtime", smiling the whole time or otherwise looking like they are remembering particularly fond and funny memories!

Whatever song you do choose, remember to keep the characters in the play in mind while you sing them. That is what they are looking for. It still won't guarantee you will get cast in anything, but it might help your odds. If they offer you ANYTHING--TAKE IT! Both Tom Hiddleston and Tom Felton auditioned for the LEAD in their career-making movies, but got the villian instead of the hero. Many actors auditioning for one part, are offered other roles instead because the director may see their talent, but have different things in mind for the lead role.

You seem to get defensive (I saw your comments after Cognito wisely recommended lessons) when someone offers you advice. Don't do this at an audition. If the director, or whomever, asks you to read a scene, or sing a song in a DIFFERENT way than you just did, please try your best to comply. Again, this doesn't always happen, but it does occasionally if they see something they like but it doesn't gel with how THEY envisioned a character or scene. I understand about money, believe me, but see what music or acting options you have in school. You don't even SAY what kind of school you're going to, or what your academic focus is, but you really need to make a BIG effort to get the kind of trainng you need for theatre if you take it seriously. Training is not a luxury...it's an investment, especially if you want a career in the arts. Many actors struggle for years.