LDS questions?

So I really want to become a Mormon. I have prayed long and hard and I'm ready to stop my sinful life. I know most things about the church but I have some general questions about LDS culture.

1- what percent of the USA is LDS?

2- when did the LDS church officially start?

3- Other than BYU is there another LDS college?

4-do Mormons generally vote republican or democrat?

5-behind Utah what state has the mode percent of LDS?

6-why is the church called the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints? What is a "latter day saint"

7-what is byu acceptance rate?

8-what is the correlation between Mormons and jell-o?

9-name 5 celebrities or athletes or famous people who are Mormon?

10- name 3 things the LDS did to shape the history of America?

Thanks for answering

Favorite Answer

1- what percent of the USA is LDS?

Not sure but looks like others have answered.

April 6, 1830

Not that I am aware of, there are several BYU's though besides in Provo, Utah.

I would say republican but I'm sure there are a lot of democrats. The church leaders do not tell us how to vote, only to choose whom you think will do the best job.

No idea :)

We are in the "latter days" meaning Christ will be coming back in this dispensation (a time when there is a prophet on the earth) so I think it is just to distinguish between the church when Christ was on the earth and now.

7-what is byu acceptance rate?

No clue

It's just a Utah Mormon thing I think... a joke that Mormon's always bring jello for parties. Which really, a lot do :)

Steve Young

Gladys Knight

David Archuleta

Thurl Bailey

Shawn Bradley

http://www.famousmormons.net/

What's interesting is the reality that the LDS Church needed America and America was "made" (by God) for the Church. We had to have freedom of religion. We had to have a place where the church could flourish. It's pretty amazing when you start studying all the things that had to happen for America to form... and how the world was literally flat-lined from the beginning until the time the gospel was restored (read the 5,000 Year Leap). Man didn't do much until the late 1800's and look how far we've come. I believe it is because the gospel is here in its fullness

1. We're about 0.2% of the world's population. It's probably a little higher than that in the USA.

2. April 6, 1830.

3. No. BYU has campuses in Hawaii and in Idaho as well as Provo, Utah.

4. It's about half and half.

5. If I had to guess, I'd guess Idaho.

6. It's called The Church of Jesus Christ because it is his church and kingdom on earth. It has the "of Latter-day Saints" to show that we don't pretend an unbroken line of authority from the ancient apostles but that it is a restoration of Christ's church in the latter-days. "Saints" are just holy people or people trying to do their best.

7. I don't know, but they can't accept all applicants.

8. Zero. It may have been popular at one point, but it has nothing to do with us.

9. Harry Reid (a bad example), Philo Farnsworth, Eldridge Cleaver, and I'm drawing a blank.

10. Settled the Salt Lake valley and numerous settlements in the west; produced The Book of Mormon, and kept peace with the Indians when possible.

• jake

1- 1.6% in the US. About 58% of Utah identifies as Mormon.

2- 1830 was when the church was officially, legally organized.

3- There are 3 BYUs, one in Provo, Ut, one in Idaho, and one in Hawaii. Southern Virginia University is also a mormon school.

4- Mormons tend to vote Republican, but the last prophet Gordon B Hinckley was a democrat. And democratic senate minority leader Harry Reid is Mormon.

5- Idaho and Wyoming.

6- Latter Day Saint refers to saints, or members of Christ's church, in the last or latter days.

7- Provo has about 50% acceptance, Idaho and Southern Virginia has a 99%, Hawaii has a 29% acceptance rate.

8- Mormons just eat a lot of jello. It's an easy side dish that a lot of kids love.

9- John Browning (invented .45, M1911, BAR, pump action shotgun, semiauto shotgun, and dozens of other gun designs still in use) and Philo Farnsworth (invented television)

Steve Young and Merlin Olsen (football player)

Orson Scott Card (Ender's Game author) and Stephenie Meyer (twilight author)

Ken Jennings (most successful Jeopardy contestant)

Brandon Flowers (of the Killers band)

10- Founded Utah. Became a new world religion. Provided a highly praised network of public assistance and relief aid.

You've gotten some good answers, but I'd like to elaborate on #10.

Joseph Smith has profoundly and permanently changed the world, more than Farnsworth with his television, or Jarvic with his artificial heart, or the Osmonds with their variety shows. Restoring the Lord's church was not an easy feat; it required tremendous sacrifice. Ultimately he sacrificed his very life. Joseph Smith was a spark, but the fire still rages, and it has gone around the world. The Lord wanted to increase the faith of mankind, so he sent Joseph Smith.

Joseph Smith championed the rights of blacks, and petitioned for the rights of religion. He saw the civil war approaching and did everything he could to stop it, but the people of the United States wanted blood. He gave his own, but even that wasn't enough. Hundreds of thousands died in the Civil War before Abraham Lincoln, having read the Book of Mormon, changed the course of the war, by changing its purpose. He called the nation to repentance, and championed civil liberties. Abraham Lincoln finished the work of Joseph Smith by enacting the 13th and 14th amendments to the constitution.

A question you did not ask is this: "Is the Book of Mormon the truth or a lie?"

When you investigate the answer to this question, you will find out that the Book of Mormon is not the truth.

Just dedicate your life to trusting Jesus and repenting of your sinful ways.

The truth matters. Jesus is the Truth.

John 14:6---I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

https://discernmentministries.files.wordpress.com/...

• schel

Merlin Olsen Mormon

And the same question pops up again

• i dont know dear