Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 4 years ago

VEGANS, how do I convince my mom to let me be vegan?

I'm vegetarian and she already thinks it's hard enough to get me food. I really want to go vegan. But she wants me to wait until I move out. There are literally so many vegan food options in the world, but she thinks there too expensive.

How can I convince her?

I've showed her videos of what goes on, calmly explained why I want to go vegan..

If your a vegan and had this problem or have any advice on how I can convince her, please comment.

Oh, and I'm 14, in case that affects anything,

• Louis
    Favorite Answer

I think the best bet is to take your time, be patient and think long term.

Continue to do your research. Then maybe once a day, or maybe just once a week drop a "factoid" when everyone is together. Start off easy. I think use the non-threatening ones, like "if we ate one less burger a week, it would be the equivalent of taking your car off the road for 320 miles". Don’t use the scary ones, like "Most cow's milk has measurable quantities of bacteria and viruses".

Try to drop these factoids in front of the whole family but be careful. If you over do it they will stop listening, so meter them out slowly. You might even try bringing up to your mom and sisters, cruelty free products, and what happens to the little bunnies in animal testing labs. But again take your time and try to stay away from the scary stuff. at first anyway. too much too fast and they will just tune you out.

Next time people need a birthday present or something, get your mom a copy of "Thug Kitchen" (It’s a fun vegan cookbook). Get your dad a copy of "Fast Food Nation" (it’s a fascinating read).

See what DVDs are at the library (or Netflix) and try to get the family to watch things like "Forks over Knives" or " Food, Inc.”, or “Cowspiracy”.

Order some free vegetarian and vegan starter kits (you can find them online) and leave the pamphlets in the bathroom as reading material. :)

Ask her to buy soy milk instead of cow's milk. they cost about the same. and soy milk doesn't go bad as fast so its hard to have too much in the house. Also volunteer to take over the cooking once a week or so but on the condition that that the meal is vegan. Look up some easy recipes and give your mom the shopping list. or even go to the store with her and pick out the things yourself.

In the meantime, just eat the non-meat things in the house.

Make sure you are completely sure you want to do this. I went vegan a while ago and i lasted about a week before i started getting sick so if you are going to do it, make sure you know what to eat to stay healthy. My parent wouldn't allow me to do it anymore after that so be careful. BTW i made a power point. Plus i don't know if this affected anything but i do get sick very easily.

• TBK

i have videos of what goes on. here they are: http://www.animalhandling.org/ht/d/sp/i/80622/pid/...

this is what really happens, not like what is in the peta videos.

if you want to be vegan fine, go for it. i suggest you wait until you're 18+ and get help from a dietitian and/or your GP. many vegans especially the younger ones follow it improperly.

i also suggest you avoid peta, the ALF(classed as a FBI terror group), freelee the banana girl, vegan gains, durinraider, onison and gary yorufousky like a plauge. they are the worst of the worst when it comes to vegans. they have advocated the rape and murder of those who eat meat or wear fur, they also fat shame, make inflammatory marks about a youtuber who had cancer, and berate former vegans. to name a few of the terrible things they have done.

Why in the world would you wanna go vegan!? ITS A WASTE OF MONEY. I suggest you go vegan when you get your own money and buy your own vegan food. Vegan food is hella expensive, and can make your body lose great nutrients. Please reconsider this before you go pathetically vegan.