Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 4 years ago

What is it like to be in the Navy?

Hello I am a 22 year old guy and I have tried college and I feel like it is not working for me so I decided that I am going to join the Navy and I wanted to know what it is like to be in the Navy?

Favorite Answer

What life is like in the Navy depends greatly upon your rating (job)

But there are a few things that are almost universal.

1) at 22, you'll be the "old Man" of your boot camp training company. Most everyone else is 18-19 years old.

I joined at 22, and it was not bad, just a lot of guys a lot younger than you.

2) All ratings have a Sea Shore duty rotation (Yes even those that are never assigned aboard ships like the Seabees) Your first duty (which will be your whole first enlistment for the most part) will be sea duty. This means that you will be assigned to a ship unless you are one of those rare ratings that have no shipboard assignments, then your "sea Duty" will be some land based equivalent that counts as Sea Duty, like some remote and isolated overseas post.

99% likely though your first permanent assignment after training will be a ship.

When your ship is not deployed, duty is pretty much like any other 9-5 Job. You go to work, put in a days work, and get off in the evening and go home. Assuming you live off ship (most single enlisted will live aboard ship, but married and senior enlisted will live off ship)... You will report aboard in the morning and be on time for "Quarters"... which is when you will take muster and receive the days briefing and assignments. At the end of the workday, Liberty call will be called and you are then free to leave the ship to go home or whatever else you plan to do.

The exception is if you are in that day's "Duty Section". US Warships must be manned at all times with at least a Skeleton crew to get the ship underway in an emergency, or fight any fires or hazards that may occur, or simply to guard the vessel. Generally it will be a 5 section duty rotation and if your section is that day, then you have to stay on board overnight, filling any watches you may be assigned to. YOU will remain and then work the following day's regular work and then you can go home after the next days liberty call is passed. Unless it is the weekend. In that case you are free to leave on Liberty call the next morning (no ship['s work on Sat/Sun) after the next duty section has relieved you.

When the Ship is underway.. you are obviously with the ship 24/7.

There is a LOT more... but as another poster already stated... one could write a book on what "life in the Navy" is like.

Try asking more specific and detailed questions.

Being foward deployed is great. We traveled to dozens of countries , many times apiece.

I had a blast on the gov'ts dime. The Aussie babes LOVEEEEE American Sailors

They lined the pier 5 deep when our ship would pull in.

• Bill

Jon, Navy or otherwise you can't up and quit. Make sure this is the direction you want to go then maybe come to ask specific question about what jobs are available to you..................

They put you in a tin can and then send you to sea for months at a time.

• Bill
      4 years agoReport

Leo, should try some time. It was kinda bone chilling scary when those big guns fire on a fire control mission.....................

A lot of wishing you were in the army

• Biff

6 months a year out at sea sleeping in tightly cramped bunks, no privacy, 60 second showers

• Mrsjvb

it's a LOT like college. without the drunken frat parties every weekend.

do it