Do i even need an Anti virus program?

I use Microsoft Security Essentials as my Real time protection. I have malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware as on demand scanners

and i use Windows firewall after uninstalling Comodo Firewall.

i also use noScript and uBlock Origin for my browsers FireFox and Comodo IceDragon.

Do i even need a real time protection AV taking up computer resources? I follow good internet codes i don't download stuff from third party websites like SourceForge i always try and find the official/first party website. or download them from a third party site which i trust.

i only use sites like sourceforge as a last resort. Like whenever i needed to download Code::Blocks because the official mirror was broken, sadly it didn't come with the compiler for some reason so i uninstalled it.

the only things i could possibly think i would need a real time protection for is whenever i am looking for games for my emulators. which i use emuparadise and CoolROMs for, i am a newbie on those sites so i don't know if some games on there could have viruses.

another thing is i use Processor Explorer where you can check to see which processes are running the background.

I also use Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit as something for protection against exploit attempts when browsing.

so my question still remains do i even need a real time protection despite all my other protection which uses less resources from my computer.

Update/Edit:

or could i just use windows defender and everything would be fine? Does windows defender use less computer resources then MSE?

Update/Edit: another thing too note is i rarely even get email attachments from unofficial or phishers. Or i never add people on steam who have there profiles private or click on links from unknown people on steam who send trade requests.

• Bob
    Favorite Answer

I'm a mac user and I used to feel much the same as you did. But the fact is that you have to follow good web practice and be cautious 100% of the time, whereas the bad guys simply have to get lucky once. Make one mistake and you could be snookered.

After a couple of near misses, I decided that I couldn't afford the risk so I now run anti-malware software on my mac, and take the very small performance hit this causes.

2

Source(s): The Best Antivirus Software - http://moveantivirus.com/?ikrl

No you don't, I have been working in IT for many years and I don't use one. However, you do have to be smart. just make sure that you don't click things that are suspicious and read you installer carefully.

Normally Anti Virus programs are made for people who aren't too good at using computers and thus do not know what things are benign or malignant

Most antiviruses (other than Norton) use so little that it's worth the protection. I've had my AV software catch things at random times, or warn me about files when I'm going through some of the deeper areas of the internet. I use Avast, and usually suggest either that or AVG. Both are free AV products.

apparently you don't know that MSE IS your anti virus software !!! there is no need to use another product that will not work as well as MSE does