Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 4 years ago

A Christian dating a Messianic Jew who believes in Christ - good or a disaster waiting to happen?

I'm kind of facing that scenario right now. She believes in Christ, but holds to her Jewish religion, as well. Opinion?

By the way, I'm not really looking for an "atheist" point of view because technically you have no place whatsoever in the "religion and spirituality" category when you aren't either.

Update:

Well, I asked her about that...she said "I am a Messianic Jew. I believe in Jesus as my Messiah but I remain Jewish by religion." So I said that technically she is Christian if she believes in Christ...and just attends Jewish services. She said her synagogue is a Messianic Jewish synagogue. She does not celebrate christian holidays and she does not call herself a Christian. She said that they do have a ressurection service around Easter which is Passover. As for attending services together...

Update 2:

I asked how that would work if she was dating someone (one goes to one service, one goes to the other). She said No...they would have to choose eventually.Apparently its a matter of not dividing the family.

42 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 years ago

Bottom line - if she believes in Christ, then she's Christian, not Jewish. Period. That is the firm, non-negotiable dividing line between Judaism and Christianity -- do you believe in Jesus as the Messiah/Savior, or not? If you do, then you are a CHRISTIAN, if you don't, then you are a JEW.

The whole "Jews for Jesus"/"Messianic Judaism" thing was started in the 1940's by a Southern Baptist Minister as a sneaky, underhanded way to convert ignorant secular Jews who didn't know very much about their own religion to Christianity, by presenting it as just another "denomination" of Judaism. Its NOT.

So if she's a Christian and you're a Christian, you should be fine together.

Source(s): I'm Jewish.
    • Abiyah4 years agoReport

This is from a jewish source, so read your own Chumash or Tanakh.

• James
    Lv 6
    4 years ago

Messianic Jews still believe in keeping the feast days of the Old Testament, if I'm not mistaken. Which were done away with the sacrifice of Christ (Colossians 2:14-17). This may tend to make them legalistic. But whatever floats your boat. Actually we are not supposed to marry outside out faith -- Genesis 24:3;Exodus 34:15, 16; Deuteronomy 7:3; Ezra 10:2, 10; Nehemiah 13:27; 2 Corinthians 6:14; Ezra 9:2, 10-14.

• BMCR
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

Messianic Judaism is really a weird form of Protestant Christianity with Jewish trappings.

It is not a Judaism.

I find it quite interesting though that you said technically she is Christian.

What was her response? Did she agree or disagree with that statement? Or did she sidestep it completely?

The reason I ask is because some Messianic Jews in this forum bend over backwards to avoid the label "Christian".

As far as your relationship goes, I cannot predict what would happen or give any advice (practical or otherwise), only that religiously, she has more in common with you than with Jews who follow Judaism.

By the way allony I have a "Stone Edition Chumash" that I read all the time, got it from Fairmount Chabad.

• 4 years ago

The bible is very clear and warns Christian's not to be unequally yoked with a spouse that doesn't love Jesus has their Lord and Savior.

2 Corinthians 6:14-15

Do not be bound together with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness? Or what harmony has Christ with Belial, or what has a believer in common with an unbeliever?…

The same could be said of U. Dishonesty your name.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

So basically, a Christian dating a Christian.

Marriages of mixed religions can work or fail miserably. It's not the religions that matter, but the way the couple handles the differences. If you can respect each other's differences and come to an agreement on religion in your lives (with children especially) it shouldn't be an issue.

By the way, this is a forum for opinions on religion and spirituality; it's not a support board for the religious and spiritual. Everyone has a right to be here.

• allonyoav
      Lv 7
      4 years agoReport

What a pity you don't pray for yourself. Pray that you lead what honesty, ethics and morality are. Sadly it seems you are so badly damaged you do not even realise how much healing you require!

• Fred
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

Disaster

• 4 years ago

If you want to learn some true useful techniques that you need to use to find some body and have a long haul relationship with then the very best position to understand this really is here https://tr.im/NSeqE

With Tao of Badass you will discover ways to read women therefore you know what to find in order to find out if she is really enthusiastic about you or not since men just never look to get that part right.

Probably since no-one ever shown them what to find and for this reason The Tao of Badass guide does this type of great job.

• PEACE
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

Messianic Jews are evangelical Christians. They are not Jews. They are an offense to all of Judaism

U need prayer so bad U do not even realize how corrupt U are.

• Keith
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

From a Christian point of view--and based solely upon the "Unequally Yoked" scriptural basis--as I would imagine you are familiar with.

2 Corinthians 6V14:"Be not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?"

This scripture would not apply here--since she is a believer in the One God--although I am not famiilar with their belief in the Holy Trinity or the Godhead.

Having gotten that out of the way.

I think you should examine not so much the general consensus of the "success" or abated holding of the proverbial breath or literal breath potential failure.

One must examine one's spiritual walk with God as a believer and ask God's Holy Spirit's guidance towards this.

Romans 8V28:"And we know that ALL things WORK TOGETHER for GOOD to them that love God, to them who are THE CALLED according to His purpose."

So when we are sure that God approves this--and not us eating chipotle late at night heart burn (smile), then we can rest assured that it is going to give God glory.

Caveat: WHEN we know for sure--that God is directing us.

This is not an unequally yoked situation here--and because of all the reasons you did mention up above--

This would take more than legalism or debating as to do or not to say I do.

Examining what God is going to get glory through this--IF GOD is directing it--is ALL THAT MATTER HERE.

Trials and tests may come--when it is God--but He would be glorified--WHEN HE is part of the process that is 100% excluding all outside factors or distractions even if it seem wrong--God may say yess--and even if it seem right God may say no.

But when you both put this in God's hands--since you both serve the Same God--then answers will come forth and right Godly decisions will occur--no matter what human eyes see or perceive--God always has the last say.

Blessings.

• 4 years ago

The reality is she is not acknowledged by the rest of Judaism as being Jewish, except by ethnicity. She is despised by the majority of Judaism. That is the reality.

How is she different than the original Christian Church founded by the 12 Apostles? They were all Jewish. Now she is just a different Christian denomination composed of ethnic Jews. Yes she is still Jewish, a true Jew! But realize she is not accepted by Judaism at large. She believes Jesus is the Messiah, that is the Christ, a Messianic Jew, a Christian Jew. She follows the teachings of the New Testament. That makes her a Christian. She just does not like the label, because she is still Jewish.

You people that disagree with me, are you saying that Rabbi Yitzhak Kaduri was not Jewish? At the end of his life, he acknowledged Yeshua as the Mashiach! Look at the web site of his students! Rabbi Kaduri had crosses written all over his personal journal! Do you care about the truth, or just about what you want to believe?

Source(s): There are so many sites that verify what I am saying that I could not possible list them all here. The Kaduri web site verifying that the messiah letter is authentic: http://www.kaduri.net/ The article confirming Kaduri wrote crosses: http://roadturn.com/rabbi-kaduri-ariel-sharon-and-... These are not Christian sources. It was in Israel Today!
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.