catmich99 asked in PetsCats · 5 years ago

Is it ok to keep feral cats with my own cats?

I don't have them mingling together, but they are in the same house. I keep the feral cats in the garage, and my own cats in the house. The garage is attached. At night, when my cats are upstairs with me, I will let the feral cats out of the garage so they can explore a little bit in the downstairs area. Is there any possibility of my cats getting a disease from the feral cats based on the scenario I presented? They are about 6 month old feral kittens.

Favorite Answer

If they are sharing the same food and water bowls - yes - if these feral kittens have Feline Leukemia and/or FIV surely your cats do now as well.

• PR

You can ask your vet this question, but you are doing a good thing in helping these kitties. They are so lucky to have you! Ask your vet what precautions to take. I have had feral and stray cats in the house with my cats. I am not saying this is the best thing, but mine are O.K. Here is a pic of a formarly feral adult cat who is now a tame house pet. Here is a link that explains how to tame them.

http://www.theluckyfew.org/site/feral_cats.html

• Gert

Take the feral kitties to the vet and make sure they are healthy.

• bette

they could have cat lukemina .

or other viruses. If you take them to

Humane Socirty you can take for free

spaying neutered.