Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 5 years ago

Why are some men concerned that feminism doesn't address their issues, when feminism, by definition, is a gender specific social reformist?

when feminism, by definition, is a gender specific social reformist movement?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

"Why are some men concerned that feminism doesn't address their issues, when feminism, by definition, is a gender specific social reformist?"

What I see too often is men who are complaining back at the self-proclaimed feminist assertion that feminism IS a group for full gender equality. And that's it. If all feminists were as candid as you are being right now, and admit that feminism is a gender specific group for females only, then there would be NO problems at all.

Instead, too many self-proclaimed feminists will rush in to tell us that feminism is basically egalitarianism. If you don't believe me, just read the answers provided here by feminists next time the question "what is feminism" gets asked.

• 4 years ago

Reformist Feminism Definition

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Men are NOT concerned that feminism doesn't address their issues. Their concern is that feminism is introducing roadblocks in their progress by the way of promoting and advocating anti-male legislation and sexist affirmative action procedures promote the interests of women over those of men.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

some feel that feminist should advocate more for mens issues and should take responsibility for mens issues and that women get more than men

are these claims reasonable and correct - sometimes, sometimes not

i think people need to address each situation on merit

the community should heavily scrutinise all claims

to step outside of prejudice - we must relinquish friendship and association and travel to a lonely place where our judgement and integrity is not impaired by relationship

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

Because the idea that people aren't serving them is completely foreign to men.

How can a group exist and not bow at their feet?

How can something exist, and not pander to them?

That group must hate men!

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Sadly feminist organizations don't act in accordance with the definition of feminism you state, but rather advocate practices that favor females and discriminate against males. Most people now see feminism for what it is and don't support it.

• ?
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

Feminism is concerned with certain gender issues with men that overlap with the gender issues with women. It's a movement that is concerned about concepts of gender and how they effect equality so it is concerned with the second class marginalized position and restrictions women have had historically. Also it's concerned about men not showing their emotions and thus not getting the help they need for depression - this falls under the umbrella of feminism. Also it's concerned how men are not in their children's life enough so that is why it promotes paternity leave for men.

However, there are tons of issues that go way beyond gender that feminism has no concerns about - it can't be all things to all people - it has enough on its plate already.

It's mostly about bringing women up to having an equal voice with equal power and equal respect. We are still not there so it mostly focuses on that which is its priority but it does not totally neglect men either.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Indeed.

Which is what I tell feminists when they say men need to fight on behalf of women for equal rights, equal pay, free abortions, etc.

I thought that was YOUR job as a feminist - not mine. You feminists made it abundantly clear you were no ally when it comes to men's issues. How brazen of you to expect this from men.

• ?
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

People only want change when it's good for all people. No matter what label is being used, imo.

• ?
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

Some men get a bit childish when the world isn't revolving around them. They'll get over it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.