Is this a sign of hypocracy in Thom Yorke?

I'm comparing two artifacts over Radiohead frontman Thom Yorke, as I was suprised to find that he was against something that I thought he would have probably supported. The band welcomed "the future of the music industry" with free download services such as Napster and Aimster in 2000 (around the time of Kid A), and then released a pay any amount process in 2007 for In Rainbows (again, could be bought for nothing), yet their main man has since then removed his newer band's music from Spotify, admitted today that he dislikes YouTube (and other free services), and has said that the culture of collecting vinyl no longer exists. Don't these two things clash, though? What has caused this to happen? I'm aware that people get slightly more conservative with these views as they get older, so this could be a reason. Also, while the free services of 2000 typically had no ads to profit at all (despite being illegal), YouTube does have ads, and virtually none of the revenue goes to the artists, so YouTube could be worst from the company perspective than Napster was in his view. I also noticed that the pro-future comments of 2000 were made by their bassist, so maybe I'm getting the views of other members mixed with his own.

What do you think about what he's said recently VS the pro Napster stance he had 15 years ago? Do you have a suggestion as to the reason why he changed his mind?

Favorite Answer

No. His problem with Spotify and YouTube aren't that people can listen to music for free, his problem is that Spotify and YouTube are making tons of money while paying artists little to nothing. And he's not worried so much about himself, obviously he's set for life, but for emerging artists.

On Spotify:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/jul/15/...

On YouTube:

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/12/radioheads...

Does anyone still care what Thom Yorke has to say? He's always complaining about something.

A lot has changed in the music industry in 15 years. I don't think it's "hypocrisy" to change your mind about something, given 15 additional years of knowledge and experience.