How can angels have a fleshly body?

According to the Bible, angels do exist. There is numerous Scripture that tells us of such beings such as

(ESV) Hebrews 13:2

Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

I understand that the physical realm (what we see, earth, stars, etc.) interact with the spiritual realm (Heaven, Jesus's throne, etc). What I don't understand is the idea of spiritual beings who serve the Lord and can be dispatched at any time to serve His purposes, but that these angels are invisible to the naked eye. My pastor also said that he believes each believer in Christ has at least two angels personally assigned to them.

I think of angels kind of like the movie City of Angels with Nic Cage and Meg Ryan...where Nic Cage is only visible to certain people at certain times...so we see him in the flesh but we're not certain if he is truly alive (in the human sense) or just a total spirit being. Then later in the movie, Nic Cage gives up his rights as an angel and inherits a permanent human body.

So can anyone explain to me the actual Biblical truth about the true nature of angels...are they spiritual, can a regular person we know actually be an angel, how would we ever know that? Would an angel definitely know that they were one or could God not tell them for their own good while in the (evil) world?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Linda
    Lv 7
    5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

God created angels in a different form from humans. They are spirit like Him and live in the spiritual realm which is invisible to humans,

God has also given them different qualities from humans. For one thing they are very powerful. When King Hezekiah asked God for help against Assyria, God sent a single angel who destroyed the entire Assyrian army in one night - 185,000 men.

They have the ability to take on human form and in fact, interact with humans. God gave them this quality because one of the purposes for which He uses them is as messengers to deliver His instructions to humans.

In human form, they have all the same qualities as normal humans. Wasn't Jesus a perfectly normal man when he was here? So, in the same manner, the disobedient angels took on human form before the flood and mated with human women.

The angels do not have permission to come and go as they please in the form of humans. The obedient angels who are faithful to God, only come to earth when He sends them for a reason.

Do they know they are angels. Of course. Do you know you are human?

If an obedient angel appeared to you, he would reveal the fact that he had come from God and why he had come. This is not going to happen because God no longer uses this method of communication with humans.

What about the bad guys? Could the guy next door be one of them? Sure. However, the bible tells us to use our head. What would be the purpose of him hanging around for a period of time?

If you encountered a wicked angel posing as a human, it would be for a specific purpose. It is not likely because Satan already owns all those who are not serving God within the standards He has set for us in the bible. Just to be sure, you might want to avoid picking up strange men.

By the way, while angels have no gender like humans, they are always referred to as male, just as God is because it was the male to whom God assigned the dominant or stronger role.

Satan has already set up millions of traps for the young ones coming up. False religions, drugs, immorality, violence, all sorts of things that are pagan and not acceptable to God such as Christmas. Involvement in the occult traps thousands every day. Fortune telling, Ouija boards, tarot cards, religious meditation, astrology, superstition, astral projection, Wicca, the popular movement that appreciates nature and the lovely flowers and the little bunny rabbits, etc.

Not to mention the current fashion of being bisexual, transsexual or undecided.

The idea of a guardian angel is pleasant but it has no scriptural basis. Apparently your pastor has not read the scriptures.

Again, use your head. If Joe crossed the street safely and Tom got run over, where was Tom's guardian angel? Staring at the passing cheerleader? Taking a nap? In the bar across the street having a drink?

If everyone had a guardian angel, no one would get hurt of killed.

I hope this helps your understanding.

JW

• CF
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

Angels were never people. Angels were created as spirit beings in heaven long before mankind came into existence.

Job 38:4, 7

Where were you when I founded the earth?

Tell me, if you think you understand

...When the morning stars joyfully cried out together,

And all the sons of God began shouting in applause?

Since they´re spirit beings, they have spirit bodies. They are beings of light of high brilliance. If they appeared in their everyday form to us, we would become blind. Therefore, we´re happy that, most of the time, they are at a wavelength and frequency which make them invisible to us.

God´s faithful angels minister to God´s servants on earth. The Bible doesn´t say in detail how they do that. All we know from the Bible is the following:

Heb 1:14

Are they not all spirits for holy service, sent out to minister for those who are going to inherit salvation?

Psalm 34:7

7 The angel of Jehovah camps all around those fearing Him,

And he rescues them.

The Bible reveals that many millions of faithful celestial creatures, including seraphs and cherubs, obediently serve in specialized roles according to their rank and assignments. -Psalm 103:20, 21; Isaiah 6:1-7; Daniel 7:9, 10.

How can angels have a fleshly body? They don´t. They have spirit bodies but, depending on their mission from God, they can materialize human bodies on occasion, even eating and drinking with men. -Ge 18:1-22; 19:1-3.

:

• 5 years ago

"According to the Bible, angels do exist."

Yes. Yet angels do not exist. The bible is not a description of reality. It is an old story, not a true story.

"There is numerous Scripture that tells us of such beings"

Yes and there are stories about wizards and fire breathing dragons, there are stories about superheroes, about vampires, about elves and orcs. Nothing indicates that they are descriptions of reality.

"Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares."

What?

"I understand that the physical realm (what we see, earth, stars, etc.) interact with the spiritual realm (Heaven, Jesus's throne, etc). "

'The spiritual realm' is a fancy word for 'fantasy'.

"What I don't understand is the idea of spiritual beings who serve the Lord

and can be dispatched at any time to serve His purposes, but that these angels are invisible to the naked eye."

Why? Everything of that exists only in fantasy. The lord, his henchmen. No wonder nothing of it is actually visible.

"My pastor also said that he believes each believer in Christ has at least two angels personally assigned to them."

Two? How does he count them when they are invisible?

"So can anyone explain to me the actual Biblical truth"

This is the problem. There is no "biblical truth", because the bible is not true.

"about the true nature of angels...are they spiritual,"

Angels exist only in stories (and in your fantasy) in so far yes, they are spiritual.

"can a regular person we know actually be an angel,"

You can be anything you want. You can be a superhero, an angel, a door knocker, whatever. This is a free country.

"how would we ever know that?"

Same way you would know if somebody is a wizard.

"Would an angel definitely know that they were one or could God not tell them for their own good while in the (evil) world?"

That is like not telling a robot that she is a robot. Difficult, but possible.

• G C
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

The only way we can see an angel is if they assume a physical body. We cannot see the spiritual realm.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

They don't however angels can take the form of man.

• 5 years ago

Not only that, but Genesis 6 indicates that they procreated with human women. How does this happen indeed...I have no idea.

• 5 years ago

in the bible angels did in fact appear to people as men

• 5 years ago

god allow3 them to take on a earth body

• There's no such thing as angels. http://usminc.org/

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.