Fiance has two last names?

My fiancé and I are trying to determine my name change for when we fill out our marriage license. Let's just say his name is John Smith-Jones legally but he goes by John Jones socially and only uses Smith on official documentation. I would not like to be referred to as Smith socially because everyone knows him as Jones. We would really appreciate some outside help.

Favorite Answer

As someone else pointed out, you use your maiden name for the license application.

After that, it's really your choice. I get why you don't want to use real names here, but that's probably what I'd use to figure it out. Which combo sounds best. You don't necessarily have to make it identical with his unless you want to. You could use your maiden name in combo with either Smith or Jones.

If you want the same name as him, just come up with something you both like. There's still lots of options, because your maiden name could be part of it. My cousin did this, and every time I see a similar question, I wish I could put it up here. It's the coolest name ever, and it's also a simple one: they used her 2 syllable maiden first, followed by his one syllable last name second. You can also consider dropping the hyphen if you want. Example: Hillary Rodham Clinton.

• Sue

A marriage license is an official document -- so check with City Hall? Or the marriage license 'people'.

Why don't you and your new husband both chance your names to Jones? Then the confusion is over and you'll have matching names.

Your marriage license doesn't determine your married name. If his legal name is Smith-Jones but he uses Jones, the best plan would be for him to change his name legally to Jones, and you can assume that name on marriage. You would almost certainly be unable to change your name to Jones on the basis that your husband's name is Smith-Jones.

The marriage license does not ask you to declare your post-marriage names.

if he goes by Jones, socially, why would anyone refer to you as smith socially?

they would refer to you as jones, same as they do with him

so you can be "mary" jones

or "mary" smith-jones and only go by jones same as he does

hyphenated names are pretentious

In British tradition, a double surname is heritable, and taken to imply upper class origin

so unless he is from historical families, stick with jones