Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceStandards & Testing · 4 years ago

How should I study for AP European History? 10 Points Best Answer?

I have been taking AP European History and I've been doing really bad and I got a 68 first semester. If I do well the other semesters and do well on the AP exam, I can get an A for the course. How do I study for the tests? I read the chapter the day before, review some notes, and do my homework properly but, still I do poorly. We don't get handouts or anything its just the teachers notes, the book teaching me. I did get a review book The Princeton review, but it doesn't have topics that are on the test it is just vague. How should I study? Should I make an outline for each test? That would take a lot of time and work while my friends do really well and sometimes don't even study. Please help me. Thanks

Favorite Answer

I say that you honestly have to find what works for you. But, I can offer you suggestions :)

I actually took this class last year, and for us outlines were required, but I don't feel like they really helped me that much because our tests had really specific questions, and outlines tend to be more... well, general.

*You can watch some of the Crash Course world history episodes on youtube. It teaches at an AP level and even though it's world, there's still a good chunk of European history.

*Look at sample questions online. Just search up "APEC sample test questions". The only thing I would have to say is that this year, the test completely changed (with the number and types of questions and essays), so that means all the questions are kind of old/outdated.

*Study groups help. Except, be careful, because if you have more than just 2-3 people, it quickly turns into a hangout instead of a time to study

*I made timelines. It really helps during a test or an essay when you can order events chronologically in your brain, so if the question asks about people in France in 1800, well, you know that the French Revolution was 1789 and Napoleon was sometime after that, so the answer must have to do with Napoleon.

*This is a really weird thing I do while taking tests. Okay, so you know how a lot of questions ask, "what would (so-and-so/this person) think about this"? Well, since I like acting I treat the person like a character I'm about to play/act as. Then, you think to yourself, "If I was (let's say Napoleon, for example), what would I think about (whatever the question asks)." That's how I got almost every single one of those questions right.

*Get a tutor. Idk if this is how it is at every school, but at my school, AP Euro is a sophomore class, and there are a lot of student tutors who are junior and seniors who took it. And so you can get free tutoring from kids who have already taken the class, and the tests, and the AP exam, and it's free! It's free for us because the tutors work for volunteer hours.

*Ask your teacher. They want you to succeed. So, they will probably help you if you need it.

*Read a little bit of the book every night. IF your test is in, say, 7 days (a week, like mine usually were), read 1/7 of the book each night. I know it's tedious but you tend to remember stuff better if you read it in smaller parts than try to read it all the night before because honestly, it's pretty dry, unless you're really into history.

That's all I can think of for now! GOod luck in your class!

• Corey

Different people learn better different ways. For me, copying notes by hand and saying them out loud helped. Also, a good way to tell how well you understand a subject is if you can explain it, so see if you can do that. It doesn't even have to be to a real person, just try to explain the material to an imaginary audience.

But my techniques won't necessarily work for you. What classes have you done well in, and how was the material presented / how did you best learn it? If you can replicate that (during the whole semester) then do that. Cramming for a test isn't the best way to study. If you learn as you go, you won't have to cram (which I expect is what happens with your friends).

I usually use the cornelle note taking style and dont write everything down just summarize alittle

go here

http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/members/exam...

look at the sample questions

and you say you have this book

http://www.amazon.com/Cracking-European-History-Ex...

so do the practice exams in it

it even has a chapter on test taking strategy and designing a study plan