Health insurance option for expecting family?

Hi,

I am in a bit of a dilemma and need some guidance. My wife and I are expecting a child sometime in December yet I am the only one with coverage ( HDHP to be specific). Open enrollment has started at my employer but will not be effective till January 1st of next year. What are my options of obtaining insurance that covers maternity for this year as most private insurances don't cover maternity? Also having a child qualifies as a life event that will enable my wife and child to be covered under my insurance. Say I was to update my policy the day the child was born does that mean the insurance policy will kick-in and pay for all delivery costs excluding annual out of pocket costs? Thanks for helping navigate the labyrinth that is health insurance.

• Zarnev
    Favorite Answer

First off, as of 2014 all creditable health insurance does cover maternity. However, you won't be able to get coverage effective before January unless she has a special enrollment period available. I'm sure you're aware that you'll have to pay the tax penalty since your wife doesn't have coverage.

Adding wife and baby to your group policy will be effective the date of the birth but will not cover anything up to and including the delivery charges. Prenatal care and delivery is billed at the global maternity rate and insurance won't pick up partial billing.

You have no options of obtaining insurance that covers maternity for this year as it's too late now. You should have obtained it a year ago.

If you were to update my policy the day the child was born, that means it will cover only costs for after the birth, and will not pay for any delivery costs.

You can add the child, as the birth is a qualifying event for the child. However, as far as I am aware, simply having a child would not make your wife eligible for the qualifying event exception.

Looks like you and your wife will be paying for the delivery out of your own pockets, unless she can hold out until 1/1/16 AND buys a policy now.

• Bill

No the delivery would occur before the policy would be in effect. All you can do now is pay for the delivery yourself. You have 30 days to request coverage from date of marriage or birth or have to wait for open enrollment.

• ?

I dont know what HDHP means but you can buy a policy from your state insurance exchange right now to cover everything since maternity is now automatic with these plans.

• ?

Surprisingly baby delivering isn't covered.

Contact local hospital to learn about various payments plans

If u prepay u often can get lower prices.

Shop around to numerous hospitals

• tro

cover for what you are eligible for when you apply

when the child is born you can request an adjustment to your policy this is an event that merits the change

You should be able to add the baby that day, but it wouldn't cover the delivery.

Add her NOW! You don't want to be uninsured on delivery date!