Can you be a doctor in the army without having a doctorate degree?

My recruiter said you have to be 17 to be an audiologist in the military. I asked him if it's true that you need a doctorate degree and 1 year of internship he said that doesn't seem right

Best Answer

I have worked with Audiologist the minimum education is a Masters Degree, however the trend is becoming that you need a AuD. (Doctor of Audiology).

In the Army you need an AuD.

REQUIREMENTS

Active Duty

Requires a doctoral degree from an accredited program in audiology from a school acceptable to the OTSG. Candidates with a clinical doctoral degree (Au.D.) must have completed an accredited 1 year clinical audiology externship or be enrolled in the Army Audiology Externship Program (AEP).

Must be between 21 and 42 years of age

Must be a U.S. citizen

Cut and Paste from: http://www.goarmy.com/careers-and-jobs/amedd-categ...

If you are talking about Audiology Tech, then you can do that as enlisted...and they will train you. But I don't think it is a separate MOS. I think you have to be something like a 68U ENT Specialist.

https://www.cool.army.mil/enlisted/68u.htm

• Mrsjvb

an audiologist is an MD with specialization training.. so yeah he'll have a doctorate and then some.

now the enlisted Audio tech position is nothing more than a kid fresh out of high school who has been trained to operate, or fix, the stupid machine that goes 'bing' in your ear. or a general med tech who will be the guy in the office taking vitals, making appointments and generally being a dogs body for the clinic.

• L S

You can't be a doctor without a degree, full-stop. But an audiologist isn't a doctor, as such. I'm not sure what the training time is but I think a friend's mother did a two-year part-time course, although I'm quite sure she did more training later so maybe that only got her to an assistant's position.

If your recruiter doesn't know, I'm quite sure it would be their job to find out so ask them to do that.

• Sas

yes you can. A doctorate degree is a pHD holder. However you need to go to MED school to get an MD.

no, you an't be a doctor, without going to med school

they have an audiologist tech position

where you help an audiologist- that is enlisted

but your not an audiologist

let me see... "can you be a DOCTOR without a DOCTORATE degree". let me think..... ummmm.... ummmm... NO! you don't get the title without the paperwork... only those bestowed with a doctorate degree may call themselves that.

quite frankly - and not to sound snobbish, but i think the term should be reserved for medical doctors. a psychiatrist is a medical doctor and thus 'earned' it. a surgeon is a medical doctor. an ophthalmologist is an eye surgeon, eye specialist...but a psychologist (though with a doctorate in philosophy) is a psychologist (or BS artist, which sometimes applies). a 'eye doctor' you go to is likely an optometrist, a physicians assistant is like a nurse practitioner...they have an advanced degree (master's level) and they are assistant to doctors. a dentist has a doctorate in dentistry. did you know lawyers were also 'doctors'? they have a doctor of jurisprudence

• Michael
      4 years agoReport

Michaela...sometimes you just really take a flying leap at your mouth with both feet...this was one of those times.

• ?

You would be an audiology tech you would assist audiologists you would not be one

No.