Is it true that Canada news shows a couple of positive things before they show negative news?

Hi, I'm trying to write an argument essay about why the news is always negative and how we should have some positive news to listen to in the morning. A long time ago, my old teacher said that in Canada they show a couple of positive news before they get into the negative. Is that true? And if so, could you give me a source that says that? Thank you so much for your help.

• ULAM
    Favorite Answer

Personally I don't remember a time when our news began with good stories. Our news tends to begin with either breaking news or whatever seems to be the most pertinent story of the moment. I suppose it depends on the specific network or station you're watching. In fact I've found that I can't even watch the morning news on one channel here in Toronto (CP24) because the news seems to focus on too many negative stories - especially the continuous text stories that appear in a box on the lower left corner of the screen.

I will say that our news doesn't tend to over-hype any single story (like CNN), and doesn't constantly claim that everything is either "breaking news" or "just in". If something good has recently happened our media will start with it (ie: we win gold at the Olympics), but newscasts don't generally begin with happy stories.

As far as source material goes, all I can say is that I studied Journalism in college, and we were never taught that good stories come first.

• bw022

No. Lead off stories tend to be negative -- wars, bombings, terrorist attacks, etc. That said, Canada spends more time on Canadian stories, or local stories (for local stations). National and local stories tend not to be as bad as in the US or internationally. If it is a slow day for international bombings, terrorism, Greece debt crisis, Syrian war, etc. then you might get a semi-positive story in just national and local stories.