? asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 4 years ago

Are there books/novels about dragons that are not about them being villains/monsters (I don't want survivor thing)? Like...?

Dragons and Humans co-exist and are peaceful with each other (or half-peaceful). But not as Dragon rider or Dragon quest. I mean the dragon can be a character in the book too and has a POVs and such?

Favorite Answer

Tooth & Claw by Jo Walton is a book in which all the characters are dragons and we see things from their point of view. They're not monsters or villains; they're fully-rounded characters and the whole story is set in their world.

There a series of books by Rosemary Manning, beginning I think with Green Smoke, in which a child makes friends with a dragon who is absolutely not a villain of any kind, but that's a series for younger kids in the 5 - 9 kind of age bracket. They are lovely books for young kids but I'm assuming not the kind of thing you're looking for.

• ?4 years agoReport

Thanks, you saved me. I'll check Tooth & Claw by Jo Walton :)))

Apart from Skyrim? Nope, all the scenarios I know about the Dragons are either ridden or villains. Or, at the very least, so far away from a human POV that their behaviour and motivation is not comprehensible by those naked apes.

Although, in _the_ original dragon rider novels (Dragon Riders of Pern), the dragons are independent intelligent creatures who are telepathically bonded to their riders.

---

Edit: for a slightly less conservative take on the subject, try Tom Holt's 'Paint Your Dragon' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paint_Your_Dragon . But let me warn you - if you don't get british humourous fiction, you'll be dissappointed. As the dragon explains in the book, the term 'villain' can't apply to someone of a different species. Or are humans considered villains because they kill ants or slaughter cows?

• ?4 years agoReport

Skyrim :(, thanks for the info.

In Chinese folklore, dragons are usually powerful but benign and often helpful creatures; they're not considered evil or villains. They usually live in the water, and unlike the dragons in European folklore, they don't "breathe fire."

So look for books about Chinese folklore and you're bound to find some stories about "good" dragons.

• ?4 years agoReport

I never red anything Chinese before, thanks I'll check it out.

Childhood's End by Arthur C Clarke.

Dragons are an alien species. One day they arrive in a gigantic space craft and start interacting with humans.

• ?4 years agoReport

Ok, I won't lie, when I saw the age of this book "1953" I paled a little, but thankfully I got over it and this is wonderful. Thank you so much for informing me about this book :)

Off the top of my head...

I suggest you look up a book called "Grendel," by John Gardner. Grendel is the monster from the ancient poem "Beowulf," but in the poem, Beowulf is the hero and Grendel is the beast for him to slay.

But in this book, the story is told from the monster's (i.e., Grendel's) perspective. (It has some confusing elements; sometimes, the author shifts from regular prose to poetic meter to screenplay format (!), but the story is consistently told from Grendel's POV.)

• ?4 years agoReport

Thank, I'll check it out.

you should just write the book yourself

• paige4 years agoReport

you seem to have some creative ideas floating around, maybr get a ghostwriter and write the next epic fantasy novel and make a **** ton of money