Kiana asked in TravelUnited StatesSeattle · 5 years ago

Moving from a small town in Arkansas to Seattle?

I'm a 20 year old college dropout and I'm sick of living in my hometown. I feel trapped here. I want to move to Seattle (I have a total of 10K saved up) for a fresh start, to experience something new. But I have grown afraid of not making any friends or continuing to be closed off and depressed even in a new environment. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Hugo90
    Favorite Answer

Western Washington is a fantastic area, but 50.000 people a year are moving to Seattle, making housing particularly expensive. The smaller cities outside the suburbs are great places, like Olympia and Bellingham. Both have state universities so you can finish your degree. Life is especially good here and will change your outlook on life. The natives are more welcoming to outsiders than any place I have been.

We moved here eight years ago after living in Pennsylvania and Michigan. I'm never leaving. Should have been born here.

Source(s): We live in the forest, surrounded by mountains.
    • SumDude
      5 years agoReport

Please do not ruin what is left of this once beautiful area by inviting / encouraging more people to move in. { I WAS born here, as was my father. Grandfather arrived in 1907, from Michigan, ironically enough. }

Go for it. When I was 20 I was in your situation, though, I had practically nothing in my bank account and decided to just fly across the country to SF. It was tough for me the first three months, but once I caught flow of the dynamic of the city things went real well and I ended up having so many crazy adventures and meeting a lot of cool people. You'll learn and grow from the challenges you face and the overall experience of stepping out of your comfort zone. Living in a major city is better than staying in some rinky-dink town, let me tell you. Forget the people trying to discourage you. You'll find a way to support yourself if you make the effort. 10k is more than enough to get started - leap into the abyss!

Maybe try a slightly smaller area than Seattle. Yes, it's beautiful part of the country and lots to do there but the traffic is horrible!!!

• Dan

As a college dropout, your employment opportunities will be limited. You can wait tables or serve coffee.

I suggest you do some job searching in Seattle before you move. 10k will get used up very quickly if you struggle to find a job.

I doubt you have the education or job skills to afford living in Seattle. The populace is very educated, and many jobs are high skill and or high tech jobs. $15 an hour to flip hamburgers (courtesy of the socialist mayor) is not even a livable wage.

The weather will keep you closed off and depressed. {Very few outdoor activities in the winter besides skiing.}

Go to a seahawks game.

Why don't you stay where the weather's nice and pleasant?