Issues With OS being on SSD while all program files, game installs, etc on HDD?

I'm looking into a new custom laptop and I want my Windows 10 OS to be installed onto a 128 GB SSD (So it boots up quicker) and then all my games, program files, etc to be on a 1 TB HDD. I have heard there is some difficulty with doing this?

Can anyone enlighten me on this subject? What is the current problems? What can you do to solve it?

I'm also heard that using Windows 10 Professional Edition can hep with these issues, is that true? If so, How?

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Favorite Answer

It's not really difficult. I have a 250GB SSD on my PC and a 2TB HDD for storage.

In my D: Drive (2TB) I have my setup like this:

D:>Program Files> Program Files

etc...

> Program Files (x86)

etc...

Whenever I go to install a program, I change the install directory from C:\Program Files to D:\Programs\Program Files, either the first one or x86 depending on the program.

It's a bit tricky at first to remember how to do this, but you'll get used to it.

I also recommend moving your your Documents folder, Music folder, videos and pictures and downloads folder to the HDD. There are guides on how to do this.

Unfortunately, some programs don't let you change the install directory, so you're pretty much forced to install it on the SSD, but it shouldn't be very common.

• It'll work on any version of Windows. I've done it on 7 Ultimate, and 10 Pro and it works just fine. Unfortunately, I don't have a list of programs that don't have an option to change the install directory. You usually won't find these programs very easily.