How do I hook a generator to my house for when the electrical service fails?

I have a Miller Bobcat 250 welder. It has a 10KW generator built into it. The output of the welder is a NEMA 14-50R. I have a 100 amp breaker on the electric pole to isolate my house from the electric company. I have a shed with 100 amp service from the same meter/breaker as my house and plan to hook the welder to the wiring in the shed.

I live in a free state. We have no AHJ. The wiring on my side of the meter is my wiring. I have a sub panel in the shed. The generator will be attached to the shed. The shed gets is power from the main breaker on the pole, the same as the house so any re-wiring done in the house will have NO effect. P.S. 10 milliamps at what ever voltage is enough to kill a person. It does not require 50 amps at 220 Volts.

Favorite Answer

The cheaper alternative to an automatic transfer switch is a heavy duty double throw switch tthat you would use to manually swap over to the generator power during an outage. You would have to put some sort of indicator ahead of the main breaker side of the house service (like an indicator light) so you would know when the power was restored so you could flip it back.

• Jim W

You install a transfer switch that isolates the power from the welder from the line power from the utility. This is a device that is installed next to and wired into your main home panel. this is also registered with the local utility and inspected by the AHJ. Failing to do this may endanger the life of the utility workers who are trying to reestablish the power during the outage. 10KW at 240 volts is enough power to kill a person. that same power through a line transformer is less current but it will hurt more and faster if you are on the wrong end of it.

Do Not connect it in this way, you may kill a linesman that's unaware you're backfeeding the system! A transfer switch installed by a licensed electrician in needed.

• XTX

find the power service installers and get some weekend help or hire an electrician to do this hook-UP so your home . and . family are safe === prevent a home fire is the # ONE rule ...

get a qualifed electrition to do this you dont want to fry some electrical line worker when the power gets knocked out then get you butt charged with man slaughter yes that can happen plus get sued for wrongful death not worth it