Luke
Luke asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 4 years ago

How to prevent foot and leg cramps at night?

In the evening when In in bed or in the hours before I go to bed I get these excruciatingly painful cramps.

Either it's in the sole of my right foot so that it pulls my toes inwards in my right calve.

Maybe it's because I'm right footed. It always happens when I feel very relaxed, on the couch or in bed.

I exercise a little bit but not too much. Is there some change in diet or exercise that could prevent these agonizing cramps?

• Best Answer

Muscle cramps was one of my many symptoms of magnesium deficiency (hypomagnesemia). Anything from stress to sugar depletes this electrolyte.

"Magnesium deficiency can be attributed to a diet high in processed foods and a lack of magnesium-rich foods such as nuts, whole grains, beans and green leafy vegetables. Flour refining, rice polishing and sugar extraction remove almost all magnesium from most flours and rice. Many experts believe even with a healthy diet, produce may still be grown in mineral-depleted soil and lacking in this vital nutrient.

Most of our drinking water now is purified of minerals like calcium and magnesium along with the other less desirable additives.

Excessive alcohol or caffeine intake, heavy physical exercise (sweating), stress, diuretics, HRT and the Pill can all contribute to loss of magnesium.

The first symptoms of deficiency can be subtle. As most magnesium is stored in the tissues, leg cramps, foot pain, or muscle ‘twitches’ can be the first sign of deficiency.

Magnesium levels drop at night, leading to poor REM sleep cycles (Rapid Eye Movement) and unrefreshed sleep.

Headaches, blurred vision, mouth ulcers, fatigue and anxiety are also early signs of depletion.

Magnesium deficiency is often misdiagnosed because it does not show up in blood tests – only 1% of the body’s magnesium is stored in the blood."

Magnesium:

http://www.evolvedental.com.au/magnesium

Need More Magnesium? 10 Signs to Watch For:

http://www.ancient-minerals.com/magnesium-deficien...

Cramp:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cramp

• Applying cold or heat also can offer some relief. To relax

tense muscles, apply ice or a cold pack directly to the area

where you feel cramping. Applying heat with a warm towel or

heating pad, or by taking a hot bath or shower, also can make you

feel better by reducing muscle pain or tenderness.

I have had these for years and saw my Doctor and they prescribed Quinine Sulphate and it seemed to help - so I recommend you visit you doctor for some proper treatment. Care with Quinine is needed as too much has dangerous side effects - so it not something you muck around with on your own.

• Edward

Potassium.

www.webmd.com/sleep.../nighttime-leg-cramps-topic-overview

dont move

• Luke
      4 years agoReport

Not moving is what causes it to happen?