Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicClassical · 5 years ago

Piano teachers; Is this boy so-called 'hyper'? I should give up using books, or give up lessons?

I've given piano lessons to this boy for one year. I can say that he has a good ear for music (relatively), and he has good rhythm (relatively).

But he's kind of 'particular'

1. He's on Faber's Piano Adventure Level 1, but he doesn't read (e.g. still not

interested where Middle C is on the staff while he knows where the m/C as a key)

3. He shows his annoyance when he thinks the music is boring.

4. When I stop his playing where I want to correct, he goes back to the beginning and starts over, which is time consuming... (*I have asked him and her mom not to restart hundred times, but he's very stubborn and never understood...)

5. Today, he sated counting 'keys' at the middle of the lesson. (I thought her mom would stop him, but it took some time stopping him )

6. If he thinks he plays well, he gets excited and leaves piano, then jumps around...

Basically he's not interested in what I say, or he simply gets annoyed when I correct things.

Once he gave me a very bad look when I corrected his play. I had been very patient, but at this moment I got mad in front of her mom. She didn't really get surprised though.

The mom is actually my friend. I like her, but I don't like that she doesn't really care about his son's behavior.

I have more than 20 students, but he has the worst manners/ attitude. I'm so tired of having lessons with him....

Bluebell, thanok you for your sincere answer.

The boy is 7+-year old (Grade 2) Although I repeatedly explain how to read (line notes/ space notes =FACE), he never learns..,, and he plays E for F, he takes time answering my question "what's the note between C and E" etc..

But when he plays well, it sounds very good, and to me he seems to have good things for music. I might mislead him by doing too much theory...(but very basic things....)?

↑ Edit: For example when I point middle F on the staff and ask what the note is, he answers 'Middle C' ...

He actually notices his mistakes before I stop him, and restarts so many times... which made me crazy... Several time when he insisted that he didn't make mistake, I did tape his playing and showed it. I tell him not to play fast before knowing how to play, but he hates to play slowly. VERY STUBBORN, which his mom (my friend) admits.

I think I need to choose songs that interest him.

Birdgirl: I appreciate your opinion. Actually I've asked once how his school teachers describe K, and she said "the same, K doesn't listen what they say!" but she didn't talk much about his problem if there was... But he is not autism. My friend doesn't stop him even when he gets wild (to me) So maybe he's just spoiled..?

I realize I'm not capable enough to deal with this kind of kid... I should talk my friend soon. But she may also think she'll stop sending him.

Favorite Answer

The student is wasting your time and his mother's money. Since you are friends with the mother, have a heart to heart talk with her explaining that if the situation doesn't improve by a given time, you will no longer teach the young man.

I'm not going to diagnose this kid, but he sounds like he might have more symptoms that relate to autism--not hyperactivity. Or NOT. Either way, if both student and teacher find lessons frustrating, not much learning will occur. Cut him loose. He may need another teacher if HE (not Mom) wishes to learn how to play the piano. He may need specialized instruction, or perhaps he will be content to just noodle about on the keys on his own.

He does seem to have SOME sort of actual disabiltiy, and if he does, it is not something that he does to be "bad" or "stubborn'. When someone has a disability of any kind, even of a mental or emotional or develomental nature, it's as if you expect a blind person to see if they would just TRY HARDER.

Edit:

By the way, Mom may have issues dealing with her son's "differences'. She may think he is typical of kids his age (he is not, I can tell you that having worked with kids over the years), and she may refuse to admit he might need special help to thrive. Does he have problems at school as well? You will have to be very tactful and just say that you feel you can no longer teach her son since YOU lack the kind of techniques that would work best to bring out his talent. Blame YOUR incompetence, in other words. If you want to keep your friend as a friend, you just have to eat your pride because she will NOT want to hear criticism about her child. Maybe, deep down she knows. No need to shame her or the child. Real kids with ADD or ADHD also cannot control their actions without special therapy or even appropriate medications.

Again, regardless of what is going on, it's clear that this time there is a poor matchup of student and teacher. Maybe Mamianka will see your question. I believe she has experience dealing with students that have special needs or needed different ways to learn.

He sounds very young with a very short attention span. Try something else before you give up on him altogether. There are other books which might suit. Pauline Hall has books with pieces which appeal to a lot of children, some of them are based on nursery rhymes (a lot of children never heard these, nowadays), and there are other tunes which children seem to like very well. http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/category/music/series/k...

Instead of stopping him to correct him, let him finish the piece and then ask him where the mistake was. Show him how to play it correctly, just that bit. Perhaps you need to show him more and encourage him to imitate you. Sometimes my students can't hear the mistakes they are making, so I record them on my phone and play it back to them - and they can always hear it then.

If your pupil is a little older than very young, you could encourage his mother to find those tunes on youtube and get him to listen. Sometimes I find that having an overall "picture" in their heads makes for a better effort in their own playing. Of course every youtube rendition is not perfect, but it might still help to serve its purpose.

If he is old enough you could ask him to create his own new melody and write it down on the lines and spaces. A very young person wouldn't be able, but an older one might see it as a challenge. Or you could get him to write out the letter names, and as part of the class, get him to play it a little at at a time, and both of you together put them on the staff. This would help him learn to read the notes.

He is clearly learning his pieces off by heart, you just need to find another way to broaden out his knowledge without it becoming a chore for him and for you. You just need to find something that works for him. Good luck finding it !!!

• Tim

Just stop. The child needs far more than piano lessons. You are taking away time he needs with other services and distracting from his true requirements. He is a special needs student.

• Gary B

Sounds l;ike a natural born perform.

he very well coul;d turn into a famous stage musciain or Jazz artist.