I just enlisted in the air force reserve and my afsc is aerospace medical service journeyman can someone give me a little more info on it?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Jason
    Lv 7
    4 years ago
    Favorite Answer

AMS is the USAF version of being a medic. It includes both EMT-B and hospital-based training. It is the general-purpose medical AFSC (4N0X1). You'll do much of your training at the same place the Army and Navy train their medics and corpsman.

Once you hold the 4N051 AFSC, you can get additional OJT in specialty areas. That depends entirely on your duty station. That can range from dialysis technician, to working in a clinic as a medical assitant, to being an ER tech in a hospital, to being a flight medic (X4N0). There are special duty identifiers you can get like the X-prefix that designate flying status, etc. Again, that all depends on what your duty station is and what you'll be doing there.

The Journeyman is the 5-level. That's the basic skill level everyone is expected to obtain to be a deployable asset (i.e., you are trained and competent in the job). No matter what you do as an Air Force medic, the minimum requirement is to be a 4N051.

You'll get your 3-level when you finish tech school. That's the Apprentice level. From there you'll do some clinical time. At your clinical site and permanent duty station you'll do rotations to get you signed off on 5-level tasks in your training record. You'll also have CDCs to do (distance learning courses). When you have all of your 5-level tasks signed off and passed your CDCs, you'll be awarded your 5-level. At that point, you are a deployable asset.

There are tasks required of all 4N0s and there are tasks specific to particular duties. Working in an outpatient clinic is not the same as working on a surgical ICU but both are 4N0s. As a 4N051 you're expected to be competent in the 5-level tasks in your training record. You'll have additional tasks assigned in your training record specific to your duty station and job.

The civilian world has a few counterparts to the 4N0X1. You're part EMT, part nursing assistant/tech, part phlebotomist, part medical assistant, and part unit clerk. It covers a broad range of duties and not all 4N0s do the same things. The closest analogy to a civilian job is EMT-B, nursing assitant/patient care tech, or medical assistant.

Source(s): Former USAF flight medic (X4N071) and unit training manager (3S271)
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

I would have gotten that information before I enlisted. You could probably find information by doing a web search.

• 3 years ago

Afsc 4n0x1

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.