Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesOther - United States · 5 years ago

Is Oklahoma a Southern State, a Midwestern State, or Southwestern State?

I know Oklahoma has a lot of Southern influence being near Arkansas, and a Midwestern feel being near Kansas, as well as being near the panhandle but which area that I listed defines Oklahoma the most.

Favorite Answer

Depends on who you ask, frankly. Many regional maps will show OK as a southern state, and certainly has many southern state characteristics- climate wise it is colder than the other southern states and hotter (OK has the highest average temps of any state), Other region/designated maps will put OK, New Mexico, Texas and Arizona together as the "Southwest" and parts of western OK are in fact more similar to west Texas and New Mexico, and OK has a large Mexican population. "Midwest" region maps are all over the place, often including Ohio and Michigan and Wisconsin, (as an Okie those are Northern or Eastern states). But a few maps of the "Midwest" show the area as being the Great Plains area down to OK and east to the Mississippi. Culturally, we are divided-- rural eastern OK is very Southern-oriented, SE OK is even known as "Little Dixie" and even has swampland and alligators along with extensive southern pine forests. Metro areas of OKC and Tulsa are somewhat less conservative than rural areas. Western OK has a more independent mentality; I work in social programs and the eastsiders will be more receptive to taking assistance when they need help, while westerners are more self sufficient and less likely to ask for help even when they desperately need it. Climate is varied of course, Panhandle is bitter cold, with sometimes heavy snow and always windy. SE OK is more sheltered and gets less temperature extremes do to the forest cover, lower elevation and being much further south. I've seen the west end of the panhandle be 10 degrees and 70 down in Idabel at the same time. Personally I would consider Oklahoma to be in the Central US- though you rarely see that designation. We are in the middle of the country, not far south or southwest.

• Dan H

Oklahoma is a Midwestern State with a Southern attitude.

Simply Western.

Oklahoma rocks!

Thank you so much :) I learned a lot!