How would I go about paying for male-to-female HRT?

I'm 18 and I have a slightly-above minimum wage job. I still live with my parents, and only on of my siblings know that I'm considering any of this. I still need to buy a car, which I've been looking on Craigslist for.

There is a LGBT Teen group in my area, and I intend on going. But, they hold their meetings during my work hours. So consistently going will be a problem, as I'd need to tell my parents to borrow the car and negotiate with my boss on getting off early on Wednesdays.

I've found a gender therapist, though I have yet to see him yet. He doesn't require insurance, but charges $125 for a 50-minute session. Is that to much? I think it sounds reasonable, but I've never dealt with therapist rates before.

I intend on going to community college for 2 years, and then transferring to a connected university. More than likely majoring in Economics. Which is going to be a good chunk of money and debt.

From what I've read, HRT will cost $10,000 a year... for the rest of my life. I intend on getting FFS as well, but I've read it'll cost upwards of $36,000. When would be the best time to get FFS after HRT? Also, I don't know any surgeons that specialize in that surgery.

So does anyone have any tips to make this more financially feasible? Or suggestions for alternatives? Or just general advice?

Favorite Answer

"From what I've read, HRT will cost $10,000 a year."

HRT is nowhere near that expensive.

I'm post-op and my HRT needs only run about $150 a year. I use injectable estrogen that I take every two weeks. The key is I get it from a compounding pharmacy and not a rip-you-off big box pharmacy store.

"I've found a gender therapist, he charges $125 for a 50-minute session. Is that to much?"

No, that's actually pretty reasonable these days. If money is really tight you might ask him if he'd be willing to work on a sliding scale.

"When would be the best time to get FFS after HRT?"

I usually suggest being on HRT at least 2 years before considering FFS. Hormones may alter your appearance sufficiently that you're satisfied with how you look and don't need FFS. File this link away as a source of information on FFS surgeons:

http://www.beginninglifeforums.com/FFS.htm

"So does anyone have any tips to make this more financially feasible?"

Stick with your present plan: Go to school, do well and get your career started. Also realize than many insurance companies are starting to cover transgender healthcare. In fact, 8 states now require them to do so. You might also be able to get free counseling at whatever college you're going to (assuming it's LGBT friendly).

.

Source(s): me-woman who was born transsexual (post-op)

I've been on HTR for 14 months now and it cost around 145 per month my insurance pays for all of it as well as my psychologist . i live in kentucky and the medical community with transgender people are super nice as well as my psychologist and from what i was told my insurance will pay for surgery's that is needed . It's almost unheard of in the south for people to treat us nice or i think ky is in the south might be wrong ..

It will take many years to fully transition.