How would I go about paying for male-to-female HRT?

I'm 18 and I have a slightly-above minimum wage job. I still live with my parents, and only on of my siblings know that I'm considering any of this. I still need to buy a car, which I've been looking on Craigslist for.

There is a LGBT Teen group in my area, and I intend on going. But, they hold their meetings during my work hours. So consistently going will be a problem, as I'd need to tell my parents to borrow the car and negotiate with my boss on getting off early on Wednesdays.

I've found a gender therapist, though I have yet to see him yet. He doesn't require insurance, but charges $125 for a 50-minute session. Is that to much? I think it sounds reasonable, but I've never dealt with therapist rates before.

I intend on going to community college for 2 years, and then transferring to a connected university. More than likely majoring in Economics. Which is going to be a good chunk of money and debt.

From what I've read, HRT will cost $10,000 a year... for the rest of my life. I intend on getting FFS as well, but I've read it'll cost upwards of $36,000. When would be the best time to get FFS after HRT? Also, I don't know any surgeons that specialize in that surgery.

So does anyone have any tips to make this more financially feasible? Or suggestions for alternatives? Or just general advice?

3 Answers

  • Anonymous
    5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    "From what I've read, HRT will cost $10,000 a year."

    HRT is nowhere near that expensive.

    I'm post-op and my HRT needs only run about $150 a year. I use injectable estrogen that I take every two weeks. The key is I get it from a compounding pharmacy and not a rip-you-off big box pharmacy store.

    "I've found a gender therapist, he charges $125 for a 50-minute session. Is that to much?"

    No, that's actually pretty reasonable these days. If money is really tight you might ask him if he'd be willing to work on a sliding scale.

    "When would be the best time to get FFS after HRT?"

    I usually suggest being on HRT at least 2 years before considering FFS. Hormones may alter your appearance sufficiently that you're satisfied with how you look and don't need FFS. File this link away as a source of information on FFS surgeons:

    "So does anyone have any tips to make this more financially feasible?"

    Stick with your present plan: Go to school, do well and get your career started. Also realize than many insurance companies are starting to cover transgender healthcare. In fact, 8 states now require them to do so. You might also be able to get free counseling at whatever college you're going to (assuming it's LGBT friendly).


    Source(s): me-woman who was born transsexual (post-op)
  • 4 years ago

    I've been on HTR for 14 months now and it cost around 145 per month my insurance pays for all of it as well as my psychologist . i live in kentucky and the medical community with transgender people are super nice as well as my psychologist and from what i was told my insurance will pay for surgery's that is needed . It's almost unheard of in the south for people to treat us nice or i think ky is in the south might be wrong ..

  • 5 years ago

    It will take many years to fully transition.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.