Antonia asked in PetsDogs · 5 years ago

my gsd is scared of leash?

my puppy is 3 months old and refused to walk on the leash, she has a harness. i think this is because my mom would try to force her to walk on a leash on trips to the vet. she would pull on her leash to get her to walk.now ehen i take out her leash, she runs away from me!how do i get her to like being on the leash? shes getting too big and heavy for me to carry her to the vet because she refuses to walk or move on the leash

7 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

You need to make the leash a positive thing. Find a treat she really loves. Start with putting the leash on the floor and give her a treat when she walls up to it. Once she does that readily, pick the leash up and give her a treat once she approaches you with the leash. Again, once she's fine with that, begin clipping onto her collar for a second and take it back off. Gradually, leave the leash on longer and progress to taking steps in the house. Eventually, take her outside with it.

The treat should be small, something she goes nuts over and something she only gets when the leash is involved. Don't go to the next step until she's comfortable with the previous one. Do it several times a day, end each session on a positive note, and praise her for good behavior while ignoring bad behavior.

It will take time, but if you're patient with her, you'll succeed. Correcting a negative association is so much harder then making a bad association, but with a dog this size, the leash has to be tolerated.

If you stick with it, she'll realize that with you, good things happen with a leash. I've dealt with this issue in a lot of rescues that come from abusive situations and it takes time, patience and consistency on your part but it can be corrected. Hope this helps.

• 5 years ago

Since you do not know how to train the most basic of things to this puppy - like walking on a leash correctly - then it would do the both of you a world of good to enroll in a puppy obedience class. Once your puppy has completed her entire series of three puppy vaccinations/boosters against Parvo/Distemper and the like, then you can take her out in public and safely work her around other dogs.

A German Shepherd dog is a very intelligent dog and NEEDS training and a job to do. If you do not train them from an early age, they will take advantage of you. This really isn't a breed for inexperienced people to own.

• 5 years ago

Put the leash on her and let her walk around with it. Don't hold on to it, just let her get used to it. Make sure you watch her so it doesn't get caught on anything. I had a dog that was scared of cement because he while he was a puppy on a farm and didn't know what cement is. He isn't afraid of it anymore because I conditioned him to it. Its the same thing with the leash. Let her get used to it just being hooked on her. When she gets used to that, (maybe after putting it on her for a half an hour a day throughout a weeks time) slowly start holding it and leading her places

Hope this helps

• 5 years ago

Get a light weight leash and let her drag it around the house. In the meantime, find a good obedience training class and enroll yourself and your dog. You both have a lot to learn.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Find what motivates your dog. Some dogs do anything for food. Some dogs do anything for Toys. Some do anything for a good petting. Some do anything for only one type of food, like cheese, or hotdog. Some only have interest in training for 5 minutes at a time, and others can go for an hour. Figure out what your dog is willing to work for, and then work with her in sessions that are no longer than she can tolerate. Learn how to train your dog properly http://onlinedogtraining.enle.info/?H7g8

Sign up for a dog obedience training class. It will not train your dog. It will give you training on how you can train your dog. Most people understand the idea of training, but there is a right and a wrong way to do it, and there is good and bad technique. Timing and consistency is very important, and it helps to have feedback of someone watching you who can help you improve your technique to get more efficient results with your dog.

However, she may be somewhat anxious around other dogs, sort of like the shy kid on the playground. She will benefit from continuing what you are doing as far as asking her to sit before entering, but there are more things along those lines that will help her to calmly go in and out of the dog park. She may also benefit from going in short bursts, or only when fewer dogs are present, or avoiding times when other dogs that make her nervous are present. Maybe she just plays loud - my brother's dog is this way - or maybe she is a dogpark bully - sorry it is possible. But more likely she is just a little anxious around new dogs and she wants to play but just doesn't quite know how to do that and still feel comfortable. Don't be surprised if your dog does not actually like the dog park, and maybe she would get more enjoyment and less stress out of simply going for a good walk somewhere else.

A wagging tail does not mean that your dog is happy or even comfortable with the situation. It means your dog is emotionally aroused. This could be a happy arousal, or it could be a nervous arousal, or it could be an aggressive arousal. Go youtube it, there are plenty of videos of 'vicious' dogs who are throwing a very aggressive fit of barking and snarling while their tail is wagging vigorously. Even police dogs who are not let off the leash to chase down a suspect can be lunging and barking and snarling, and their tails are still going.

• 5 years ago

Try clicker train it, show her the lead, click and treat. Try and show her that the lead is a positive thing instead of a scary thing. Put the lead on her and straight off, and treat.

When your taking her for a walk try and motivate her , so when she digs her heels in refusing to walk, encourage her and then click, then treat. Its just a confidence thing. Or bring a ball that makes a noise to makes her excited

• 5 years ago

You need to sign up for an obedience class so a trainer can teach you how to train your puppy. As soon as she's been fully vaccinated, enroll in a class.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.