Can my Early 2010 Macbook Pro 13" handle the power of El Capitan?

I heard of stories of how people upgrade their macbook pro's to the lastest Operating System, and they complain that it slowed down their macbooks badly. My sister had a 2008 macbook pro 13", and once she upgraded to the Mountain Lion OS, it completely made the macbook unworkable.

I'm still working with Snow Leopard, OS 10.9.5, and this OS kinda slowed down my macbook. And im the kind of person that likes to stay up to date with apple products.

My questions are that will it be okay for my macbook 2010 to upgrade? Did you guys upgrade your old macbooks and how is it? Any tips on cleaning my macbook before upgrading? Is the new OS El Capitan as fast as some people say it will be?

Thank you much appreciate your answers! :)

Favorite Answer

It's fine. Apple is extremely dependable at stating what the OS needs. They say El Capitan works with any Mid 2007 or newer MacBook Pro.

BTW, El Capitan is really a "super update" for Yosemite, as you can guess, with the same hardware requirements, just like Mountain Lion was a "super update" for Lion. For El Capitan, Apple is mostly developing new bundled apps rather than making major changes to the basic OS.

Your sister's experience is an anomaly. She should have contacted Apple to see what went wrong. I upgraded to Mountain Lion, no problems whatsoever.

By the way, Snow Leopard is OS 10.6.x. Mavericks is OS 10.9.5. As for any upgrade slowing the system, that should only happen if the upgrade needs more RAM than the previous system. If the RAM requirements are the same, look at other reasons for the slowness, such as your Internet service is not keeping up or the hard drive's file system has corruption or the drive is almost full.

The names are a bit confusing. Before 2002, Mac OS was not advertised by code name (big cats, and then places in California). The code names make it seem more exciting, like the name "Mustang" for a car. Audi's model "Q5 3.0 TDI" just doesn't seem exciting. It also makes it confusing. We can easily guess which is older, OS 10.5 or 10.6, but you can only know the code name order by memorizing them.... or by looking at a list.

The first version of OS X (client) was only used as a test version. It was called "Public Beta" and had no known code name (although rumors suggested it was called "Kodiak"), and no version number, as it was never sold in any shop, and was not included with any Macintosh computer.

The pattern was big cat names.

OS 10.0 = Cheetah (released 2001-3-24)

OS 10.1 = Puma (released 2001-9-25)

OS 10.2 = Jaguar (released 2002-8-23 –– first system software advertised with its code name)

OS 10.3 = Panther (released 2003-10-24)

OS 10.4 = Tiger (released 2005-4-29)

OS 10.5 = Leopard (released 2007-10-26)

OS 10.6 = Snow Leopard (released 2009-8-28)

OS 10.7 = Lion (released 2011-7-20)

OS 10.8 = Mountain Lion (released 2012-7-24)

(Now Apple changes to California place names.)

OS 10.9 = Mavericks (surfing beach)

OS 10.10 = Yosemite (National Park)

OS 10.11 = El Capitan (mountain in Yosemite N.P.)

Perhaps the change to place names was related to the death of Steve Jobs, who was involved in Mountain Lion development at the end of his life.

<0-0>

honey ceiling fans