How to genuinely like country music?

My girlfriend likes country music and I like nearly every other kind of music. I have never been able to get into country unless it has a rock sound. Any ideas/ suggestions?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Hi, It sounds like you would enjoy classic, outlaw, country rock, traditional, southern rock, modern alt/underground, & maybe even rockabilly. For example: Gram Parsons, Charlie Daniels Band, Johnny Cash, Wanda Jackson, & so on. I recommend Spotify & Pandora Radio.

Older outlaw/traditional, country rock, rockabilly, or "southern rock" artists:

Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Johnny Paycheck, David Allan Coe, George Strait, Alan Jackson, Loretta Lynn, George Jones, Conway Twitty, Tanya Tucker, Jeannie C. Riley, Gram Parsons, Reba McEntire, Emmylou Harris, Mel McDaniel, Hank Williams Sr., Dick Curless, Elvis Presley, Wanda Jackson, Hank Williams Jr, Charlie Daniels Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Marshall Tucker Band, The Band, Eagles, Eddie Cochran, Buddy Holly, Carl Perkins, Bill Haley, Eddie Bond, Everly Brothers, Chuck Berry, Kathy Mattea, Moe Bandy

Classic song examples:

1. Charlie Daniels Band - Everytime I See Him: www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDKu7LG_4jU

2. Johnny Cash - I Will Rock And Roll With You: www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNoiQ8fAQuU

3. The Band - The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down: www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3JaosE-gZE

4. Eddie Cochran - Somethin' Else (rockabilly): www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgQg4ze1_KU

5. Johnny Paycheck - The Johnson's Of Turkey Ridge (outlaw): www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Tm8Z7Glgyg

6. Tanya Tucker - Pride Of Franklin County: www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcX9NN-WcmA

7. Matchbox - Rockabilly Rebel: www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQnDvC5PLcs

Good modern mainstream artists:

Jamey Johnson, Miranda Lambert, Ashley Monroe, Kacey Musgraves, Dierks Bentley, Pistol Annies, Angaleena Presley, Gretchen Wilson, Kasey Chambers (Kasey is from Australia)

Modern mainstream song examples: More here: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20150...

1. Ashley Monroe - Weed Instead Of Roses: www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdfqzuQ8j5I

2. Miranda Lambert - That's The Way The World Goes Round: www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEydhCW3CKs

3. Dierks Bentley - Bad Angel: www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVci7cB-lqE

4. Kasey Chambers - Rattlin' Bones: www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRFZ2uOD4mk

5. Kacey Musgraves - Trailer Song (accoustic): www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqtb6GPLHc0

Modern alt/underground artists: (Mostly real country, some are a mix of country/other.)

Wayne Hancock, Dale Watson, Brennen Leigh, Rachel Brooke, Little Lisa Dixie, Joey Allcorn, Rebecca Jed, Old Crow Medicine Show, Jackson Taylor, Caitlin Rose, Megan McMillan, Nikki Lane, Angela Easterling, Jenny Queen, Wayne Mills, The Secret Sisters, J.B Beverly & The Wayward Drifters, Fifth On The Floor, Hank III, Bob Wayne, Scott H. Biram, Holly Williams, Amber Digby, Lindi Ortega, Hannah Aldridge, Pokey LaFarge, Hellbound Glory, Curtis Lyn Cook, Sara Jarosz, Carolina Chocolate Drops, Tonya Watts, Honky Tonk Hustlas, Hells Fire Sinners, George Goss, Sturgill Simpson, Lydia Loveless, Whitey Morgan & The 78's, Lillie Mae Rische, Jayke Orvis,Tanner Flowers, Dallas Moore, Jimbo Mathus, Jason Boland & The Stragglers, Shooter Jennings, The Pear Ratz, Blackberry Smoke, Elizabeth Cook, & on and on!

Modern alt/underground song examples: More here: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20150...

1. Hellbound Glory - Two Of A Kind (Garth Brooks cover): www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXrVUre8MBc

2. Tonya Watts - Moonshine And Weed: www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi_TnyWhFFg

3. Dale Watson - My Baby Makes Me Gravy: www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnyYwdFQJgk

4. George Goss - Ain't No Honky Tonks In Jail: www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVI-SRgGz9w (Has more songs on spotify & reverbnation. I recommend his songs "Train Roll On" & "Welcome To The Badlands"

5. Curtis Lyn Cook - Outlaws: www.youtube.com/watch?v=poNeqfXCMmA

6. Whitey Morgan & the 78's - Another Round: www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WaHv1JjHEo

7. Jackson Taylor - What A Way To Go: www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWZDRQCabAU

8. Little Lisa Dixie - I'll Go With You [Explicit]: www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_spsq2PM7U (Checkout her 2011 self titled album. (itunes/cdbaby/spotify). New album coming soon!)

9. Whitey Morgan - If It Ain't Broke: www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXQCnvwux90

10. Sturgill Simpson - You Can Have The Crown: www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNV16tz1NK0

11. The Hillbilly Moon Explosion Ft. Sparky - My Love For Evermore (Rockabilly/Psychobilly): www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rlYPb2plaY

12. Hugo - 99 Problems: www.youtube.com/watch?v=LloIp0HMJjc

13. Lillie Mae Rische - Pretty Polly: (www.cdbaby.com/cd/lilliemaerische) https://soundcloud.com/rayane-mac-do/lillie-mae-ri...

I hope you enjoy these artists/songs. Good luck!

• ...Show all comments
    • Shawn4 years agoReport

I also like a lot of the first artists you mentioned like Johnny Cash and the Eagles. Thanks so much for all the suggestions!

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Go back to the roots.

Go from Clapton's "Motherless Children" back to the Carter's "Motherless Children Have A Hard Time".

Similarly with other songs that crossed from country,

Find out that country has the same roots as the music you like.

• 4 years ago

you can't change what you like for your girlfriend. i am sure there are some artist that you would like...maybe toby keith or florida georgia line but just because she likes country music doesn't mean you have to

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.