Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 5 years ago

My kitten died from Leukemia, could my older cat have it too?

I have a three year old female and we used to have another one year old female too. The younger one was suddenly diagnosed with three types of leukemia a few days ago and she had to be uthenized. I miss her so much, but I m really worried about my older cat now. They used to share everything: the same food bowl, water bowl, and even the litter box. They used to groom each other too, and I read that the virus can be spread through saliva. What should I do? I m really worried.

Sorry, I meant that she had severely bad leukemia in three areas, her stomach, her lungs, and somewhere else. We take them to their check ups every few months and it just appeared out of no where.

Favorite Answer

Feline leukemia can be tested with a simple blood test. Contact your vet and see what they think.

VERY likely as it's transferred via saliva or blood. So if they used the same bowls you probably have ZERO chance it wasn't infected. Why didn't you innoculize your cats? Get the remaining cat to a vet to be FeLV tested.

What do you mean by "three types of Leukemia". There's only ONE Feline Leukemia.

How did your cat get infected? Because you let it free roam? If so keep the other cat INDOORS so it doesn't kill other cats in your neighbourhood.

edit: Feline Leukemia doesn't come "out of nowhere". CLEARLY you let your cats roam.

• Faith5 years agoReport

I didn't let my cat roam. They stay inside. I dont know how she got it.

• Gert

I'm sorry about your cat. I think you should have the other one tested soon.