Andromeda asked in PetsCats · 5 years ago

Can I turn an adult stray cat into a house cat?

I've tamed this adult cat who seems to have lived his whole life outdoors. He used to fear me but now is very affectionate and loving towards me and I would love to take him in but I don't know whether a stray who has lived their whole life outdoors, be able to adjust to a house setting. Would he need to be an outdoor cat? Or could I keep him as a strictly indoor cat? Thanks

• DK52
    Favorite Answer

Animals are good for adjustments providing those adjustments are a lot and often. They like us need stability.

Keeping your new found friend indoors would be a blessing to him whether if he knows it or not. Get him checked for leukemia, FIV, worms, other vaccination etc etc and he is good to be a indoor cat. Even if he has some illness it doesn't mean he can't live a fairly long and productive indoor life.

I would say to take him in whenever you can. PLEASE do not give him away to the "animal control" people. They'll kill him whenever they get a chance. But as a warning, I would suggest giving him his own space, and not to intrude when you don't have to. Not only are cats territorial but they also understand the concept of territory. An adult stray cat should not have any problem understanding that certain parts of your house are "your territory." This cat shouldn't have any problem adjusting, as long as you remember to give him his own space and respect. Cats seem to like respect.

On a side note, keep in mind that caring for an adult cat can be very demanding, depending on the cat.

• John M

I adopted a stray a cat by feeding it and it became very friendly. I made her an insulated box with an old down pillow to sleep in. I let her in to eat and drink and finally let her stay in when it got very cold. I set up a litter box and put her food and water right beside it so she knew where it was.

She always wet outside to do her business and it took two weeks before she used the litter box. She still loved to go out and catch mice. She would go nuts if she couldn't go out once in a while.

• Joe

It's possible.

We had a feral cat hanging around my stable for years; one of the people who works there fed her and gained her trust. Eventually, as the cat got older, the stable worker took her home. The cat lived her final years as a purely indoor cat, warm and safe and happy.

It was a good outcome.

You could not keep him an indoor cat only without being cruel. Have the cat fixed and make it a pampered indoor outdoor.

Obsessed with cats much? You go on my question giving me insults about having two cats yet you probably have like 6. Irrelevant dumbass

• Laura

He can adjust, but it will be hard.

I would not let him outside, he might not ever come back.

Keep him inside, and give him plenty of access to the outside in the form of windows. Try walking him on a leash.

• Ken S

He can be an indoor outdoor cat and most likely, he was dumped from another home. Thanks for caring cause you have been chosen