Has anyone moved across the country with a toddler and a cat?

trying to figure out how much to get rid of. I live in a 2 bedroom duplex right now but want to get a new start and I hate the snow. I hated it since I was at least 10 years old. Should I stay in a hotel until I'm able to get a job or save up enough for expenses for a while? Thank you in advance for the help. Please don't say I can make a new start anywhere as I know this. I want to move to the west coast.

I will be moving from IL.

forgot to mention my daughter would be watched by my two friends that would be moving with me and we plan on being roommates out there

• Flower
    Favorite Answer

What part of the west coast? A hotel will cost $100 a night minimum. So the best is to rent a furnished room, an extended stay hotel, or residential hotel until you find a job. You can sell your furniture, keep the sentimental and valuable items, get in your car and go.

• glendora Ca. I don't want to live in a room in someone home. would rather save for a hotel if I had to as you don't have to pay electric and water.

ok if I'm right you're in a rent right now and you're also a woman? doesn't matter... Save up some money. If you want to move across the country, first you better look around where you're wanna go, because you don't wanna arrive there and start searching for all day, plan out everything first. Before going, try to find a job there, call some companies, if you could get an interview then it's good, if you don't need/want a job it's fine, you always have the option to search for one once arrived. Then you can move, it's faster by plane, and fairly fast by train (60-90 hours NY to LA). By car it can take you several weeks, It's less cheap than train(pay for fuel, food, motel..etc), and you will need many stops to get food for you and your kid, and it's dangerous in the night to sleep in your car, and he may get scared at night and start screaming, not leaving you much time for sleep, a lot of driving is also very tiring, don't go by car. With a toddler it's better to use a train or a plane. I think animals would be allowed on train or train if they are in THAT box where you put him the cat inside to carry (i don't know the exact name). The train is not much cheaper than plane, about 5% more cheap, while it's muuuuuuch slower, I don't know how you can take your cat in a plane, but if you can, it's the best choice, for NY to LA I found as cheap as 190$ for 1 person round trip, best option. Obviously, when you gonna get there, if you haven't found an apartment already, you won't have much choice but to stay in a hotel/motel and search for one meanwhile, if you're serious about moving, you better have some money to cover your a$$ :) you're gonna eat only cheerios until you can settle just fine. It's real tough alone.

• Kai

I have not moved cross country with a toddler and a cat. I moved out here all alone. You have work to do before you actually decide what to do. "West coast" refers to Washington (state), Oregon and California. That's a lot of coast and there are differences. Do you want to live in a city? Or more rural? Suburbs? It will make a huge difference. If you are hoping for the Bay Area (since you posted in San Francisco), I would NOT advised moving out here and then deciding what to do because it's just to expensive here and housing is so limited. YOu say 2 friends will be living with you too--that's 4 people. Plus a cat-friendly apartment. Which narrows your choices greatly. A 2 bedroom apartment in a not too bad part of the city will run you about $4000 per month, plus utilities, plus your other expenses. If you have a car, keep in mind that garage/assigned parking spaces are usually extra apart from the apartment rent, and often parking rent is almost as much as the apartment. If there is no garage/assigned parking, then it's street parking which is also excessively limited, plus many places have only limited time allowances before you must move your car or be ticketed. Groceries are expensive, everything is expenses and there is little sympathy if you can't pay when due. And if you don't have the skill sets being hired for here, then it'll be almost impossible to find a job where you can make enough to pay for your rent. I think minimum wage is still something like $12.50 here (might be a dollar more). You have to understand that this is a mecca for a whole lot of people so we have a glut of young people who don't have the necessary qualifications for the limited jobs available, and the jobs that use unskilled workers are filled quickly because of this glut. YOU should first do your research, decide which part of the West Coast you want to live in, go online for that area and search for job openings and get the whole applying, interviewing, etc. for the job done so you have a secure job already waiting for you, and the company may even be able to help you find a place to live. Of again do an online search for possible places to live (but realize that by the time you see one, it may have already been snapped up) and also sign up with rental agencies. In San Francisco, you will usually be asked to put down up front before you get the keys (once your application and credit history has been approved--and you'll have to pay for the credit check), the first month's rent in full, a month's amount as the security deposit/cleaning fee, and the equivalent of the first month's rent that will be applied towards your last month's rent (and you'll need to pay any difference should your rent have gone up while you were in residence). That's 3 months' rent before you get the keys. Hotel rooms start at something over $200 per night unless you're willing to live in a "junkie" hotel, and many hotels and AirB'n'Bs do not allow any pets. Have enough money saved up to live at least 6 months should you not be able to find work. And without a job, you'll need to buy one of the Affordable Care health care insurances which run about $700 and up.

STOP!

Where on the west coast? My son lives in LA county and a crappy house costs $1200 a month rent in a decent area of the county. Daycare costs about $200 a week for a toddler. Many areas on the west coast are very expensive and not friendly for lower income single moms.

I helped him move with his kids. The car seat went in the U Haul. It took five days to cross the country since we had to make so many stops for the little ones. So the cost of travel is quite high.

Before you pack up and move - do research the area and the cost of rents, child care, and even food. Sometimes you can find the local grocery store weekly fliers on the internet on their web page. You should leave with three months income saved at the least. You can't pay for a motel to live in if you are jobless!

Pensacola FL is an affordable area, and warm and sunny!

• I want to move to ca as that's were my friends want to move and I don't know anyone in Florida. thank you for your advice.

• John

Leave the cat behind. They really don't like to move as they are fundamentally territorial.

Balloons

no.in the course of human history nobody has ever done that.come up with something else.

houston has a better economy.