Can disconnecting an external HDD during transfer damage or corrupt it?

My sister disconnected my external HDD while I was transferring a rather huge file. Can this damage it in anyway at all? Cause I'd have to transfer all my files from this HDD to a new one to prevent data loss.

• MaX
    Favorite Answer

Disconnecting external hard drive while transferring data won't usually damage your hard drive

However, external hard drive has moving parts. It is a mechanical HDD that needs it's heads parked before you unplug it.

Always use the Safely Remove option in Windows taskbar to remove external drives. This allows Windows to close any open files on the drive, finish any saves to the drive, and in general make sure the drive is ready for removal

The reason being that once the heads are parked there is no possibility of the heads touching the moving platters as the power drops down and the heads attempt to park themselves. If you do not use the Safely Remove Option it's just a matter of time till you get a Partition Table Corruption rendering all data on that drive unreadable

I doubt it would cause any notable amount of damage to the HDD itself, but you can bet whatever you were transferring isn't going to work quite right anymore. I wouldn't worry about it, just try not to have it happen again.

• cloud4 years agoReport

It's a WD 2TB external HDD. I honestly hope it didn't damage it. I have close to 1TB of data on it already.

• Adrian

It can corrupt the directory structure. That is all you need to know...

• cloud4 years agoReport

It's a HDD for solely just storing movies and other stuff. It doesn't have an OS.