Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 4 years ago

Gas engine on electric motor?

I have recently heard a lot of people hate on gas engines in go karts, and remote control cars. Their argument is that electric is far faster and better acceleration. Know I do know their right. My argument is that when I do use go karts or rc I go out all day. A solid days worth of battery's will cost several hundred even revolving batteries on a charger throughout the the day. Vs gas that takes $5 and is gas and go. So a question I recently came up with is what if I do use a completely electric system but attach a gas engine to keep it charged and running, so I get the best of both worlds. Thoughts?

• Jay P
    Favorite Answer

The problem with such a design is weight and space as you need an engine, a generator and an electric motor. All of this within the confined space of a remote controlled vehicle or a go-kart is going to add weight, complexity, and take up a lot of space.

Part of what makes a go-kart or RC vehicle fast is the power to weight ratio. That would take a big hit with what you are proposing.

• alan

Its called a hybred engine, been around 150 years,

And exactly how will this "charging" take place? Do you have a micro-miniature alternator?